The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Down Under (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Manual swap in Aus? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58408)

spleen_merchant 10-03-2011 05:47 PM

Manual swap in Aus?

Does anyone have any experience getting a manual swap performed here? Can someone recommend a mechanic/performance shop who will do this sort of work?
Cheers,
Jeremy.

93tzlegacy 10-03-2011 08:51 PM

Re: Manual swap in Aus?

Quote:

Originally Posted by spleen_merchant (Post 687838)
Does anyone have any experience getting a manual swap performed here? Can someone recommend a mechanic/performance shop who will do this sort of work?
Cheers,
Jeremy.

while ive never done one, I do own a manual converted SVX and im pretty sure i could replicate it . its quite involved and there is a bit of fab work required with a gearbox mount and a tailshaft, you also need to modify the firewall for the clutch mount, relocate wiring, modift the TC and starter wiring among other things.

Conn SVX 10-04-2011 12:23 PM

I have the whole instructions for the swap someplace if you wold like a look see.

aust92pearl 10-04-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conn SVX (Post 687896)
I have the whole instructions for the swap someplace if you wold like a look see.

i would like to see/get a copy of your instructions conn

spleen_merchant 10-04-2011 08:14 PM

I think the plan's going to be to order one of the smallcar basic kits from the US and source the rest of the parts here.

oab_au 10-04-2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aust92pearl (Post 687933)
i would like to see/get a copy of your instructions conn

This is the manual swaper's Bible.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...k369/19802.doc

Harvey.

aust92pearl 10-05-2011 01:23 AM

spleen merchant ive heard the small car kits are not the best of quality
and my dad is a welder fabricator and 30+ yrs exp mech as long as we have a fair idea of what needs to be done im sure we can modify whatever needs to be modified ,

thank you oab_au i shall bookmark that link
i still need to find a cheap trans etc or a cheap donor car to get everything il need to do it (hopefully i can find one fairly soon)

icingdeath88 10-05-2011 07:48 AM

I have not heard good things about the small car kit...

oab_au 10-05-2011 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aust92pearl (Post 687965)
spleen merchant ive heard the small car kits are not the best of quality
and my dad is a welder fabricator and 30+ yrs exp mech as long as we have a fair idea of what needs to be done im sure we can modify whatever needs to be modified ,

thank you oab_au i shall bookmark that link
i still need to find a cheap trans etc or a cheap donor car to get everything il need to do it (hopefully i can find one fairly soon)

You also need to know that our crossmember is different , and our tailshaft is shorter than the US one. You also have to use a US or JDM front Hall Effect speed sensor, that you will have to supply power to, and wire the sensor's output to the speedo.

Harvey.

icingdeath88 10-05-2011 05:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Also, this other how-to may be quite useful. It might not be in the how-to docs anymore.

93tzlegacy 10-05-2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 688012)
You also need to know that our crossmember is different , and our tailshaft is shorter than the US one. You also have to use a US or JDM front Hall Effect speed sensor, that you will have to supply power to, and wire the sensor's output to the speedo.

Harvey.

you can use any subaru 3 wire speedo drive, the one in my car is fro man aussie 05 wrx.

Dessertrunner 10-08-2011 05:20 AM

If you go to a 6 speed the tail shaft is the same you only need to mod it when you go to a five speed.
Tony

aust92pearl 10-08-2011 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dessertrunner (Post 688194)
If you go to a 6 speed the tail shaft is the same you only need to mod it when you go to a five speed.
Tony

i guess il look for a 6 speed wreck then so its a bit easier to put it in ... and i would prefer a 6 speed over a 5 lol

icingdeath88 10-08-2011 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aust92pearl (Post 688197)
i guess il look for a 6 speed wreck then so its a bit easier to put it in ... and i would prefer a 6 speed over a 5 lol

Unless you're planning to get some more power out of the car, then a 6-speed isn't really worth the extra cost. It's also a lot heavier, and the older ones that you're more likely to find for cheap will have shorter 5th and 6th than is ideal in a highway driven SVX.

Not to knock the 6-speed, it's great, but there are trade-offs.