The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is something wrong here? (slipin' n slidin') (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47340)

Freeman 12-17-2008 11:18 AM

Is something wrong here? (slipin' n slidin')

Alright... From what I've read on the network, just about everybody is claiming the SVX is undestructable in the snow! Last night was the worst snow night of the year so far. Luckily I got to go home early cause it got so bad. Cars in the parking lot were stuck and couldn't get out of parking spaces! The SVX got out just fine, no slip or anything!

All was fine and well till I got on the road. As I accelerated, my car started to slip and the AWD must have caught it cause I started to drive off without problems. As I approached the ramp to get on the highway, I sliiiid a fair bit but caught myself yet again. There were a buch of the typical "omg wtf snow" drivers going at insainly slow speeds of 5 -15 mph..

As I drove on the highway and even the roads to get home in the city, my car sliped and slid about 8 or 9 times. The way I see it, if it weren't for my experiance driving in the snow with my 84 Olds last year I would have been in the ditch!

I guess what I'm "driving" at is that I didn't think I'd slide at all, but I slid a lot.. Why?

kwren 12-17-2008 11:34 AM

Re: Is something wrong here? (slipin' n slidin')

At least we can get around in the ice and snow by using a little logic. Slick is slick and All wheel drive doesn't stop a degree better than anything else on ice.
Take it easy and be safe.

Keith:)

RallyBob 12-17-2008 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 577396)
At least we can get around in the ice and snow by using a little logic. Slick is slick and All wheel drive doesn't stop a degree better than anything else on ice.Take it easy and be safe.

Keith:)

Exactly. Your traction is still only as good as your tires. I'd rather have 2wd with good studded snow tires than AWD with crappy summer tires in the snow and ice.

sicksubie 12-17-2008 11:43 AM

I have had good all season tires on my svx and gone through snow so deep I was pushing snow with the front bumper... I give the car an A+ rating in foul weather (as long as you have good tires)....

SVX_MY_BABY 12-17-2008 11:46 AM

I've found that the AWD gives a sense of false security in that it lets you overdrive the conditions. Not so good when you have to stop or corner. :eek: Having said that it will help you out better that 2WD.

Tim 12-17-2008 11:47 AM

You're still at the mercy with the law of physics. You will still slide if you're going faster than you should be, and the quality of your tires will have the biggest effect on it.

Freeman 12-17-2008 11:54 AM

Right I know I have the false sence of security..
I have "summer" tires that I got from OT and didn't even think of the traction that they have..

So the SVX is not a "master of snow," it's the tires that are the main factor?

I just really can NOT afford any other tires right now.. Hell, I can't afford anything right now.

Thanks for the feedback.. :D

Manarius 12-17-2008 12:06 PM

Tires are definitely the factor. My summer tires suck in the snow. I struggle in even the slightest bit of snow and slide around every corner unless I go slow. The car even has a rear LSD! It's all about tires. Summer tires blow.

Tim 12-17-2008 12:56 PM

I remember back in my high school days when all the other kids had these flashy rims with cheap summer tires on their cars.

When snowtime came, I was the only one that was able to really navigate effortlessly. :D

Freeman 12-17-2008 01:03 PM

From what I noticed, even with my summer tires.. I am still one of the better snow vehicles.. Even trucks in the parking lot were stuck and couldn't move while I just pulled right out with NO problems.. Even passed a "car club" Eclipse on the way home as he crawled uphill. Still, I guess it's time to save and invest in snow tires or something cause if I wanted to slide around in the snow, I'd go snowboarding..

NikFu S. 12-17-2008 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman (Post 577431)
From what I noticed, even with my summer tires..I am still one of the better snow vehicles..

Same here. The SVX is a great snow car (not as good as the XT6) but tires and a decent driver is what makes it unstoppable. I have been driving in deep snow (mostly glazed ice past 2 years :mad: ) for 12 years and from experience I can say it is impossible to avoid tractionless conditions, however they are usually easily recoverable simply by babying the throttle and steering.

Frank Rizzo 12-17-2008 07:05 PM

The SVX scares the absolute crap out of me in the snow and I refuse to drive it. I'd trust my other 2 cars over it. One being a 91 legacy wagon that seems to be much more stable (less slipping and sliding) even with completey bald and worn out tires.

Crazy_pilot 12-17-2008 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo (Post 577499)
The SVX scares the absolute crap out of me in the snow and I refuse to drive it. I'd trust my other 2 cars over it. One being a 91 legacy wagon that seems to be much more stable (less slipping and sliding) even with completey bald and worn out tires.

Explain...............

Frank Rizzo 12-17-2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 577506)
Explain...............

On snow and ice it seems to slide more than other vehicles I've driven. As if I have to take corners slower than normal. Although it does grip well when you're accelerating.

Crazy_pilot 12-17-2008 08:26 PM

When you're braking it probably does, due to the extra weight you're trying to stop over most vehicles the same size. If you dive into a corner it will likely push through, due to the serious front end weight issues, unless you either get some weight transfer going to step the back end out or get on the gas to plant the rear a bit better. In almost any situation though I've found my SVX to be at least the equal of any other car in the snow.

Case in point I did some hot lapping against a few friends a while back (yes, closed circuit, actually a training course) and pulled away from all of them without significant effort. They were driving a Pontiac Sunbird, Chevy Tracker, Honda Civic, and VW Golf, and all but the Tracker were on snow tires. All smaller, lighter cars and I could still outrun any of them in any part of the course, be it turns or straights.