The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   ECU Tune Projects (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Any EcuTune Stage I Install Tips? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24433)

angrydan 02-11-2005 01:21 PM

Any EcuTune Stage I Install Tips?

Hey guys,

I just ordered my EcuTune Stage I ECU and was wondering if there were any tricks or things I should know to make the install go easier. I will not be using the 87 oct. map, so I won't be installing the switch. I thought I read something about having to remove a resistor or something?

Any insight anyone can add to make the install go easier is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

BigBlueSVX 02-11-2005 03:24 PM

The instructions are detailed with pictures, so you'll know what to do with the ECU itself. I would suggest first removing the ECU, and then disconnect the four connectors that go to it. With the ECU hanging down its much easier to disconnect them. Other than that the install is very simple and straightforward.

SubaSteevo 02-11-2005 04:45 PM

Take yoga classes :D

RojoRocket 02-11-2005 05:46 PM

Wash your hands in VERY HOT water in hopes they'll shrink! :D

Actually, not a tough job at all,......... for a contortionist.

Glenn

rob_4187 02-11-2005 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
Take yoga classes :D
Definitely

SVXRide 02-12-2005 12:21 AM

1. Read the directions carefully before touching anything on the car,
2. Move the Driver's seat all the way back,
3. Move the steering wheel up as much as you can,
4. Get yourself one of those "miner's light" that you can wear around your head so you can see what you're doing once you're one your back and trying to loosen the bolts holding the ECU in place
5. Make sure the car battery is disconnected - after you move the Driver's seat back.
6. Make sure you've grounded yourself before you start working on the ECU - you don't want any stray static electricity doing a number on the electronics within the ECU.
-Bill

immortal_suby 02-12-2005 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXRide
1. Read the directions carefully before touching anything on the car,
2. Move the Driver's seat all the way back,
3. Move the steering wheel up as much as you can,
4. Get yourself one of those "miner's light" that you can wear around your head so you can see what you're doing once you're one your back and trying to loosen the bolts holding the ECU in place
5. Make sure the car battery is disconnected - after you move the Driver's seat back.
6. Make sure you've grounded yourself before you start working on the ECU - you don't want any stray static electricity doing a number on the electronics within the ECU.
-Bill

And don't forget to leave the radio door open.

SVXRide 02-12-2005 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby

And don't forget to leave the radio door open.

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Okay, Matt, you've got me on this one:p
Must be one of those "special" steps I missed in the directions:D
-Bill

ensteele 02-12-2005 10:41 AM

If you have a CD in the player, and the power comes back on, the CD ejects and if the door is closed, it folds the CD down inside of the door. I have not done this yet (knocks on wood) but have heard from many that have. :(

UT_SVX 02-12-2005 11:00 AM

When I received my V4 upgrade one of the chips wasn't programmed. Michael exchanged it quickly without a problem and now the V4 is runnung great. So taking out the ECU for the third time I actually took off the metal plate that is under the steering column and dash(four 10 mm bolts), and it saved a large amount of time in reaching the nuts holding on the ECU. BTW I don't have a TCU.
Darren

SVXRide 02-12-2005 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by UT_SVX
When I received my V4 upgrade one of the chips wasn't programmed. Michael exchanged it quickly without a problem and now the V4 is runnung great. So taking out the ECU for the third time I actually took off the metal plate that is under the steering column and dash(four 10 mm bolts), and it saved a large amount of time in reaching the nuts holding on the ECU. BTW I don't have a TCU.
Darren

How did you tell that one of the chips wasn't programmed?
-Bill

UT_SVX 02-13-2005 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXRide

How did you tell that one of the chips wasn't programmed?
-Bill

Magic. :)

No, I installed the upgrade, then my car wouldn't start after doing a bunch of things I sent it back to ECUTune and then Michael sent it back and told me.

SVXRide 02-13-2005 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by UT_SVX

Magic. :)

No, I installed the upgrade, then my car wouldn't start after doing a bunch of things I sent it back to ECUTune and then Michael sent it back and told me.

Ah, the old "doesn't start after the mod" trick. Glad to hear that things worked out. Michael works hard at customer service....sounds like they just had a little QA issue.
-Bill

angrydan 02-17-2005 08:13 AM

I put the chip in last night... my SVX drives like a whole different car now! I love it! I'm sure this goes without saying, but no SVX should be without this upgrade!

I had one more question, though... I am having a HELL of a time getting the ECU box screwed back in. Are there any special tools that make it easier? (Right now I have it duct taped and wire-tied down)

Any help is appreciated!

SVXRide 02-17-2005 10:25 AM

Don't bother trying to get all three nuts back on...just getting the two "easy" ones are plenty to keep it in place.
-Bill