The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Well, that's all she wrote, folks. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58763)

Manarius 11-29-2011 10:10 PM

Well, that's all she wrote, folks.

My SVX is slowly giving up the ghost. At first, it started with some slipping in 4th. Then, I noticed a bit of slipping in 3rd. Now, as soon as it tries to switch to third, the engine basically spins freely. (And all this happened in the span of like a week)

197k on the original 1995 tranny doesn't seem too bad.

I guess the question is now, to sell or to keep. But, either way, tomorrow I need to buy a new car.

svxcess 11-29-2011 11:40 PM

Re: Well, that's all she wrote, folks.

Keep this one if you can. We have been losing more cars on the network recently to be comfortable with.

IF everything else is fine, I'd just drop a 4.44 in it and not look back. By far the cheapest solution with the most benefits.

/

icingdeath88 11-29-2011 11:45 PM

^ This.

A failing SVX trans should not be looked at as a death sentence, but an opportunity for improvement. 4.44, 5-speed, there are a lot of good options.

dcarrb 11-30-2011 05:12 AM

Seems to me 197k is a good life's work for ANY automatic transmission.

FWIW, here's how my feeble and frugal mind processes these kinds of decisions: If I spend $XXX on this car, that means I have to drive it another XX months to get my money's worth. In this case, factor-in the knowledge that an SVX with a dead tranny has zero market value, except in pieces.

Good luck with it.
dcb

Sean486 11-30-2011 06:27 AM

Damn sorry to hear that Jason. If you decide to do a swap and need another set of hands let me know. I would be happy to do what I can to help.

Also this SVX for sale looks nice.
http://york.craigslist.org/ctd/2717751290.html

Manarius 11-30-2011 06:53 AM

I'm thinking that I'll drop in a 4.44 eventually. I'll probably keep the car because of the discount I get on my insurance for keeping it (plus, it'll be the car that gets the young driver penalty since I'm still under 25).

Can't say I'm going to buy another SVX though. I need something bigger that gets better gas mileage. My daily 16-18 is just cutting into my budget a little too much for my liking, plus I'd love to have something with 4 doors again.

RojoRocket 11-30-2011 09:58 AM

Sorry to hear of your mechanical misfortune. Keep/Repair it. Wagons are NICE!! The GT is our third one. :cool:

Glenn

Green1995SVX 11-30-2011 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 691919)
I'm thinking that I'll drop in a 4.44 eventually. I'll probably keep the car because of the discount I get on my insurance for keeping it (plus, it'll be the car that gets the young driver penalty since I'm still under 25).

Can't say I'm going to buy another SVX though. I need something bigger that gets better gas mileage. My daily 16-18 is just cutting into my budget a little too much for my liking, plus I'd love to have something with 4 doors again.

Check the link in my signature. Maybe I have something for sale you may like. :)

Manarius 11-30-2011 03:33 PM

There's a locally available 2005 Outback 2.5i 5MT Limited that I'm going to be purchasing. It's white with all the options. It'll fulfill my desire to have a 5MT car, and give me that better mileage that I'm looking for. It is a little bit more than I wanted to spend, but I'll be able to make it work.