The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   MOD Mania (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   throttle body bypass (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25282)

Budfreak 03-28-2005 09:28 PM

throttle body bypass

i just got rid of my 87 trans am gta and i had the throttle body water flow bypassed and it worked great. i've never read anything about it on here and was wondering if any knew if it could be done to an svx. it added a good kick to the trans am and i figure it could help the svx too.

Electrophil 03-28-2005 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budfreak1
i just got rid of my 87 trans am gta and i had the throttle body water flow bypassed and it worked great. i've never read anything about it on here and was wondering if any knew if it could be done to an svx. it added a good kick to the trans am and i figure it could help the svx too.

Never heard of that... What is it, a throttle body cooler?

michael 03-28-2005 09:38 PM

It's been discussed and it depends on where you live. You need it to keep the throttle plates from freezing. If you don't get a lot of cold weather or install a valve it's perfect.

Electrophil 03-28-2005 10:09 PM

Oh... So this is definitely not a southwest kind of thing. :D

svx_commuter 03-29-2005 11:04 AM

It's on here somewhere and has been discussed.

IggDawg 03-29-2005 11:53 PM

I did a step-by-step a while back. got real detailed. I think there were pics in the thread too. It's very simple to do compared to some cars I've had to deal with.

Budfreak 04-06-2005 08:19 AM

ok i did the throttle body bypass and it worked much better than i thought it would! it's the best 3 dollars i ever spent! it took 5 minutes and fixed so many things. i used to have a problem with it wanting to stall when i put it in gear regardless of engine temp and now it doesn't do it. it idles a little lower and smoother too. the power feels much better too and it has huge throttle response.i recommend this to everyone of you out there (for as long as it's over 30 degrees out anyway). it's worth every cent and second.

mbtoloczko 04-06-2005 08:51 AM

Even in above-freezing weather, the throttle body water is sometimes needed. The air flowing into the throttle body can cause the butterflies to freeze even when the outside air temp is above freezing (from past experience with another car). I'd wait to use the by-pass mode until the outside temperature is at least 10 deg above freezing.

PhatWeasel 04-06-2005 10:58 AM

Coolant flow direction

Which direction does coolant flow through the throttle body?

IggDawg 04-07-2005 02:02 AM

I believe it flows from starboard to port. this is an assumption based on age-old knowledge of EJ25s though. why do you need to know? a bypass should flow in either direction. you deff don;t want to simply pinch off the line. 2 reasons for this. one being that crap will build up at the pinch and will cause a host of problems (whether or not you ever release the pinch) and second, the water also flows through the IAC if I remember right. pinching the water line will cause improper idle since that device relies on the coolant to determine engine temp (and thusly idle speed)

PhatWeasel 04-07-2005 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IggDawg
why do you need to know?

I was thinking of installing a diverter valve so I wouldn't need to remove the air pipe to restore the system to normal during winter months. Using a diverter valve on one side and a tee on the other would allow for coolant flow to be switched between TB and bypass. I imagine one would want to diverter valve on the input side and the tee on the output side to keep coolant flow into the TB as low as possible. This method would not isolate the TB, but without coolant flow I imagine it would stay cooler. This also cures the problem of stagnant coolant sealed in the TB all summer. Just a thought.