The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   different color gauges using stage gel (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56959)

zaueugen 04-04-2011 06:29 PM

different color gauges using stage gel

those who have done the gauge mod using stage gel, how did u remove the needles off the gauge face without breaking it? there are 2 screws that i unscrewed but its still clinging in the needles. thanks

dragoontwo 04-04-2011 07:06 PM

Re: different color gauges using stage gel

gently pry evenly from underneath them.

zaueugen 04-04-2011 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a picture of the temp gauge, the middle circle thing that holds the need is the piece i cant figure how to detach from the rest, so that the plastic piece with illustration on it comes off. I unscrewed those two screws and tried to gently pry of the needle part, but it wont come off.

dragoontwo 04-04-2011 08:26 PM

It will come. Just make sure you have even pressure on both sides under the round portion that holds the needle.

zaueugen 04-04-2011 08:47 PM

ok i will try it tomoro, will the needles still acuurately work when everything is put back?

radarwhiz 04-04-2011 09:10 PM

It's easiest if the gauge cluster is still in the car. Before you pull the needles off, start the car and allow to warm up to normal operating temp. Then with engine at idle mark the positions of the needles. When installing the needles, just have the engine idling and at operating temp again and line align them with your marks.

ridered777 04-04-2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragoontwo (Post 673098)
It will come. Just make sure you have even pressure on both sides under the round portion that holds the needle.

I have a "tool" that I use for this, when I made a one-off custom gauge set for my Duster

I'm sure you can buy one, or as I did, make one. Take a standard (slight shorter with a FAT tip) flat-head screw-driver. Then put a 90deg bend in it a few inches from the end. Repeat for another.

Now you have 2 "prying" tools to help it come off. Not ideal, but it gets the job done. ;)

zaueugen 04-04-2011 10:33 PM

thanks ridered i will try that, hope fully without scratching the surface of the black paper... i wonder if the gauges will work properly once i put them all back on:( hope so..

radarwhiz 04-04-2011 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridered777 (Post 673112)
I have a "tool" that I use for this, when I made a one-off custom gauge set for my Duster

A small fork always worked fine for me.

zaueugen 04-05-2011 07:20 AM

got em off!! i used a smal pair of nail scissors.:D