The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Mods (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   HID Conversion (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56315)

ykobayashi 01-08-2011 05:33 PM

HID Conversion

Folks,

I am planning on upgrading my headlights from stock to HID in the spring. I did a search on the forums for a "how to" but nothing that was all encompassing. I did, however, pull up a bunch of old threads from like 7 years ago talking about conversions requiring using Audi HIDs and replacing the reflectors and it costing hundreds of dollars to do so.

Recently, I did some research and found out that HID retrofit kits can now be had for about $50 or so. I specifically looked at DDM Tuning.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Cat...hting/HID-Kits

I belong to a Mazda 6 forums and fellow posters have had great success retrofitting their Mazda 6 with these kits. However, I know that SVXs are "specialized" cars and aren't as easy to retrofit as other cars. Anyone have any idea whether these DDM kits (or any other) be used on the SVX without the major surgery that was described by previous posters? Thanks for your continued help!

Yoshi

Geoff 01-08-2011 05:42 PM

Re: HID Conversion

The DDM Kits work just fine. I've got a set in my car right now.

Crazy_pilot 01-08-2011 05:54 PM

I installed OT's (svxfiles) kit in my car 3 years ago and they've worked flawlessly ever since. No surgery required. Remove old bulb, put in HID bulb, find somewhere to mount ballasts (two screws), connect wires (all direct plug in, no splicing or other crap), enjoy. The SVX already has projector headlights, so the beam pattern and cut off are perfect.

ykobayashi 01-08-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff (Post 666259)
The DDM Kits work just fine. I've got a set in my car right now.

Excellent! Straight plug in or cutting and splicing required? Which wattage 35w or 55w? Did you use the Slimline or Raptor? Where did you mount the ballasts?

Thanks!

Yoshi

ykobayashi 01-08-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 666262)
I installed OT's (svxfiles) kit in my car 3 years ago and they've worked flawlessly ever since. No surgery required. Remove old bulb, put in HID bulb, find somewhere to mount ballasts (two screws), connect wires (all direct plug in, no splicing or other crap), enjoy. The SVX already has projector headlights, so the beam pattern and cut off are perfect.

Where did you get the OT's from? I am very interested since you say it a straight plug in, I am worried about having to cut and splice. Does the SVX use a universal Subaru connector? How much did they run if you don't mind me asking? Where did you mount the ballasts? Did you have to remove the front bumper to do so? Did you get the 35w or 55w? Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks much!

Yoshi

92 SVX 01-08-2011 07:41 PM

The DDM kits are plug and play, most people get the 35w kits but if you want extra bright the 55w would be ok. you can mount the ballast right behind the headlights, there is a flat area right there. no removing anything open the hood pull the old bulbs plug that connector into the ballast wiring put in the hid bulb and connect the wires.

icingdeath88 01-08-2011 08:25 PM

Which DDM kit is the right one for our cars?

LetItSnow 01-08-2011 08:26 PM

I picked mine up through OT as well. I placed the ballasts inside the fenders, forward of the tires. Existing threaded holes come in handy!

Geoff 01-08-2011 08:33 PM

I used the 9006s, 55w, 5000k. Plenty of room to mount the ballasts, plug and play with no cutting or anything like that. Just make sure you seat the HIDs properly in the headlight housing - makes all the difference in the world. :) - Only $35 for the 55w Kit with a good warranty to back it up as well. New bulbs, only $12!

I went with the regular, non-slimline. Ballast on the passenger side, mounts right by the ABS pump. The other ballast, Pegdrgr of PDXTuning made an aluminum mount that screws into the side of the driver's side inner frame, so it mounts sideways...but I'm sure there are other ways to do it. Alcohol and 3M double sided tape are your friend. :)

Hocrest 01-08-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ykobayashi (Post 666265)
Where did you get the OT's from?

OT is Old Tom, "SVXfiles" on the board. He used to sell an HID kit. Not sure if he still does??

Manarius 01-09-2011 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff (Post 666273)
I used the 9006s, 55w, 5000k. Plenty of room to mount the ballasts, plug and play with no cutting or anything like that. Just make sure you seat the HIDs properly in the headlight housing - makes all the difference in the world. :) - Only $35 for the 55w Kit with a good warranty to back it up as well. New bulbs, only $12!

I went with the regular, non-slimline. Ballast on the passenger side, mounts right by the ABS pump. The other ballast, Pegdrgr of PDXTuning made an aluminum mount that screws into the side of the driver's side inner frame, so it mounts sideways...but I'm sure there are other ways to do it. Alcohol and 3M double sided tape are your friend. :)

I used the DDM Tuning ones. 35W 4500K. They were about $60 when I got them, I got the slim-ballasts (not by choice) and I got a lifetime warranty on the bulbs. I guess now they're about two years old, still brighter than ever.

I used to the zip ties that came with them to tie the ballasts to random things in the engine bay...like the A/C lines :lol:

Hocrest 01-09-2011 06:34 AM

You can make a clean installation without much work by removing the headlights and hanging the ballast below the headlight inside of the front bumper.

- Use needle nose pliers to squeeze the 2 tabs holding the top of the grill to the rad support, lift the grill out of the way.
- There is one phillips headed screw holding the corner light to the headlight, remove that and pull the corner light forward to remove.
- 4 10mm headed bolts hold the headlight into place. 2 behind the grill and 2 behind the corner light.

svxcess 01-09-2011 07:49 AM

When svxfiles installed mine, we put them inside the front fender. Just pulled down the inner fender liners. Easy to install using existing bolts there, out of the way, protected from engine heat and moisture. I prefer the ballast brackets to be well secured to eliminate vibration or stress on the wiring.

DRIVER'S SIDE

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/...LLAST_LEFT.jpg

PASSENGER'S SIDE

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/...LAST_RIGHT.jpg

Since I am running HID fog lights also, the two ballasts for these are well protected and invisible inside the engine compartment.

LetItSnow 01-09-2011 08:18 AM

^^ Ah, good. I don't need to take pics of mine now! :lol:

processengr 01-09-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 666294)
I used the DDM Tuning ones. 35W 4500K. They were about $60 when I got them, I got the slim-ballasts (not by choice) and I got a lifetime warranty on the bulbs. I guess now they're about two years old, still brighter than ever.

I used to the zip ties that came with them to tie the ballasts to random things in the engine bay...like the A/C lines :lol:

Just a note on the DDM Tuning ballasts- on a SVX, you must reverse the plug from the headlight into the ballast, to make it work. The latch on the plug will not engage the tab on the mating connector. I have used small cable ties to secure the plug to my DDM ballasts. As mentioned, OT's Lava-luxe were a total plug and play, allowing normal connection to ballast. The DDM will come with an extion wire set, that is not needed if you are mounting the ballasts up front, like under the headlamps themselves. The DDM 2 pc slim line and the 1 pc DDM 3/4 size ballasts fit under the headlight, I don't think the full size (like the Lava-luxe) will fit there.