The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   subaru and porsche not the only one using flat 6 (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55827)

Gamesy 10-29-2010 12:48 PM

subaru and porsche not the only one using flat 6

A local suby member who has a forester and an sti showed up in a CORVAIR
last week it runs a carburated flat 6 engine in the rear i was surprised.

NeedForSpeed 10-29-2010 02:02 PM

Re: subaru and porsche not the only one using flat 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamesy (Post 661564)
A local suby member who has a forester and an sti showed up in a CORVAIR
last week it runs a carburated flat 6 engine in the rear i was surprised.

And some of those are turbocharged :)
a Bigger surprise :D

dcarrb 10-29-2010 02:50 PM

Air-cooled, at that.

dcb

subbieatnz 10-29-2010 03:09 PM

The Tucker was a rear engined flat 6 too :p

sunvalleyray 10-29-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedForSpeed (Post 661567)
And some of those are turbocharged :)
a Bigger surprise :D

I had a Convair spyder convertible which was the turbo model, terrible shift linkage and scary handling. This is the car Ralph Nader wrote about in his book - "Unsafe At Any Speed."

Ray

subbieatnz 10-29-2010 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunvalleyray (Post 661599)
I had a Convair spyder convertible which was the turbo model, terrible shift linkage and scary handling. This is the car Ralph Nader wrote about in his book - "Unsafe At Any Speed."

Ray

I heard in the last year or two of production they prefected the suspension and it handled very well. But by that time the damage was done and no one wanted to buy them.

I remember reading a book about VWs and Combis. Saw that alot of guys fitted Convair engines into there combis.
Looked like atleast 2 cylinders or half the engine hanging out the back :p :lol:

Sean486 10-30-2010 05:33 AM

The father of one of my daughters friends bought a Corvair convertable about the same time I got my SVX. I have to admit it is a pretty cool car. I heard the unsafe reputation was way overblown too.

Anyhow I talked to him about it a few months ago and he told me it was in the shop because "the clutch peddle broke off". I got a good laugh about that. Old cars, they definitely got personality. :)

bwb3 10-30-2010 12:32 PM

In the last years, the Corvair Monza was a decent driving car. I think the biggest problem they had was keeping the seals from leaking oil.
Gene

benebob 10-30-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 661620)
The father of one of my daughters friends bought a Corvair convertable about the same time I got my SVX. I have to admit it is a pretty cool car. I heard the unsafe reputation was way overblown too.

Anyhow I talked to him about it a few months ago and he told me it was in the shop because "the clutch peddle broke off". I got a good laugh about that. Old cars, they definitely got personality. :)

At least the corvair came with a clutch pedal. Yes it was slightly overblown. The first 10 years of the Triumph Spitfire had the same rear end set up that the Corvair did. Only difference was it didn't have the engine back there as well. For GM it was a brilliant engineering design, which of course, they only developed it 3/4 of the way initially.

subeman90 10-30-2010 08:56 PM

my mom had 3 of them back in the day. I think 1 or 2 of them was convertable too. My family had the last one stolen out of storage back in the late 80's. :mad:

kcbsvx 10-31-2010 10:47 AM

The shift lever was REALLY long with a long throw, but it loved to be "speed shifted" ; keep the accel pedal floored while shifting as quickly as you can.

A friend swapped a Corvair H6 into a Porsche 356 coupe. Lots more power and no worse in the rear-end-coming-around-in-trailing-throttle corners.