The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   First SVX purchase, What to look out for? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42734)

Boosted5speed 01-11-2008 02:49 PM

First SVX purchase, What to look out for?

I'm going to take a look at a green 92 later this evening, which if I buy it will be my first SVX purchase, though not my first Subaru.

Is there anything in particular I should look out for on the car, aside from the general leaks/strange noises/rust and tire wear you would do on any normal vehicle?

I know the wheel bearings are prone to failure on these, and the transmissions can be a trouble spot (going to take a looksie and see if the car has an aftermarket tranny cooler installed) but aside from that don't really know what else.

Inspection is recent, so she passed emissions fine.

Alternator, battery, timing belt and main seals and front tires have been recently replaced according to the ad, and apparently the A/C compressor has a short of some kind, but at $1,900 the car seems like a good deal considering the location (Texas) and the apparent condition of the car.

What do you guys think?

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...149c8d7feb.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...1aeeb37770.jpg

JaySVX 01-11-2008 03:16 PM

Nice cat!

Check to see if a re manufactured transmission was installed, it should have the upgraded filter which is less prone to failure. If you turn the AC on does the pulley spin? If so, that's good at least, it means the pulley is not seized. It cannot short, as it is mechanical. Also, keep in mind in Texas, AC is extremely important...

It passed emissions fine, but won't next time if it's sitting on that grass for very long, as the moisture can destroy the catalytic converter.

Watch out for hood struts, it can come down on your head/fingers/tools pretty hard at 49lbs.

Your wheels are on backwards!!! :lol::lol:

Sean486 01-11-2008 03:23 PM

Check that the FWD light is not on. Check the plastic top of the radiator for cracks. Check the brakes for pulsing. Check for leaks, and of course check the transmission fluid for burnt smells.

SVX_MY_BABY 01-11-2008 05:02 PM

Looks like the radio antenna is stuck or broken. Which is not a big deal. Could just be an o-ring leak on the AC, which is common. There are a lot of similarities to the legacy, so if you're familiar with them that will make it easier to look over.

Check the HOW TO section to see how to read error codes. There may be some stored even if the check engine light is not on, unless the battery has been disconnected.

My guess would be that if they just replaced the timing belt, which is a major expense and are now selling there is probably something else wrong. At 1900 though you have room for a fair number of repairs to put it right, even if you put out the same amount as the purchase price.

ensteele 01-11-2008 05:18 PM

To find out what to look for in a used SVX, look in this folder for the doc. Good luck. :)

NikFu S. 01-11-2008 06:30 PM

How much for the cat?

YourConfused 01-12-2008 12:15 AM

pm'd you the end

Boosted5speed 01-12-2008 07:02 AM

The cat was free - I think I'm going to pass on the SVX though. To shorten things up some....

A/C doesn't work, had the fuse pulled so not sure if the compressor would click on or not, the interior lights were non-functional, hood struts were gone, sounded like she had an exhaust leak that wasn't pretty, and most importantly..

I think the transmission is on its last legs. Feels like it only has 2 gears, takes off in (2nd? not sure, 55mph @ 6000ish rpm) hit the rev limiter on shift a couple of times and then went immediately into what felt like OD with no lock (65ish mph right over 3000rpm). Smelled like transmission fluid, was low on the stick when I looked at it.

Now, if im not mistaken, the 4eat in there should feel similar to the one in my 95 legacy lsi correct? Im used to the gear change intervals in that car, it felt nothing like it, with only 1 noticeable shift between stop and highway speed.

Oh well =[ anybody know where I can find a nice clean SVX down here thats already been swapped to a 5speed? :D

I saw this earlier and am wondering what kind of work would be involved there - CV axles don't generally just slip out unless you hit something =d or maybe he just means the axle died.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/car/531815144.html

I guess shorten was a bad way to describe the post.

Tim 01-12-2008 07:41 AM

The svx shifts very softly, much different from that of its legacy 4eat counterparts.

Boosted5speed 01-12-2008 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TE1221 (Post 520757)
The svx shifts very softly, much different from that of its legacy 4eat counterparts.

I was more referring to the feel of actually having 4 noticeable gear shifts :D there was only one noticeable shift, with a drop from redline to ~3000 rpm - to me, it felt like it only had 2 gears.

SVX_MY_BABY 01-12-2008 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boosted5speed (Post 520762)
I was more referring to the feel of actually having 4 noticeable gear shifts :D there was only one noticeable shift, with a drop from redline to ~3000 rpm - to me, it felt like it only had 2 gears.

If it's shifting at the red line you have problems. There is a slight rev between shifts at low speed but not excessive.

Why not salvage the $900 car? The diff in cost is almost equal to a 5 or 6mt tranny. If the axel has slipped out of the front diff it may be no big deal. It's only held in by a clip and can easily fall out if the struts or wheel assemblies were yanked on. The clicking is probably a partial engagement of the gears. If the gears on the end are stripped just get a spline from an old legacy axle. They are the same.