The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SVX for sale near me, opinion question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41119)

Sean486 10-06-2007 01:47 PM

SVX for sale near me, opinion question

Found a Red 96 SVX near me for sale. It has the ugly patterned cloth seats and no sunroof, but it is AWD and has the 2 airbags and abs. The price is good but it is running with the FWD fuse inserted because the AWD is binding. Otherwise the transmission shifts very well and has lots of power. Seems to need an alignment too. It has 143k on the odometer and it is the original transmission. One other weird thing the dip stick for the ATF would not come out no matter how hard I pulled?? Don't know if that means anything or not.

What do you think, if I buy this am I very likely looking a transmission swap to fix the binding? Seems like it might be worth the asking price even if the transmission needs to be replaced. If anyone else is interested here is the link.

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/car/437406510.html

shotking 10-06-2007 02:01 PM

Wow 96's had great 0-60's:rolleyes::tard:. Sorry i have nothing else to ad:o

Cynic 10-06-2007 06:40 PM

I'd like a red as my next SVX...:) or maybe blue, claret...

As far as the binding, when I bought my Ebony, the FWD fuse was in and she was binding. Thought I'd have to do a swap, but someone on here suggested getting a good tranny flush and lube it up first. No problems with it since.(knock on wood:rolleyes:)

Manarius 10-06-2007 07:32 PM

For 2000, I picked up a 95 LSi with 30k more miles. You can take that for what it's worth. I'd try to talk him down, especially if it needs transmission work (binding means solenoid C replacement - can be done without removing the transmission by someone who knows what they're looking for).

Funny, that car is in Enola - I should drive by and be like "ooh, SVX" :p

Sean486 10-06-2007 08:08 PM

I am kind of leaning towards getting it.

benebob 10-07-2007 06:30 AM

Sean it needs a tranny or at the very least a solinoid C. There are 2 trannies up at Harry's at the moment. For $500 ish it'd be a swap and drive baring any issues as you can get that tranny for cheap. The L's are much better than the LSi anyways. I have a couple sets of 'em down here if one is in less than perfect shape. The seats wear better and the car isn't the obese girl down the street. Weigh about 250lbs less than the fat SVXi. Price seems a little high for needing a new transmission but if the rest of the car is good shape, minimal paint fade, well cared for engine, no major blemishes, good glass then its not too high.

Manarius 10-07-2007 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benebob (Post 498358)
The seats wear better and the car isn't the obese girl down the street. Weigh about 250lbs less than the fat SVXi.

I like my fat LSi thank you :p

SilverSpear 10-07-2007 08:04 AM

The tranny can be fixed or swapped with a 5/6 speed, the interior can also be changed.... but no sunroof??? Personally I won't buy it... :o

It's Just Eric 10-07-2007 09:01 AM

Hey, the fat girl down the street is perfectly fine with me man. I mean, I like the little extra cusioning..thats why I dont ride a 1500 pound honda.

Think of it this way..When you order a steak, do you want a steak or do you want a STEAK?

What were we talking about again? Oh right, the car. Well, like ben said, it is a bit lighter (Which must account for the 2 second faster 1-60:p) If you can score a fair to you deal on the car, and fix it up, there's really no reason I can think not to buy it. I bought my red one on impulse and after fixing the tranny it's been pretty good to me

subarufamily 10-07-2007 01:16 PM

i like the lsi personally leather wears like iron.but it is hot in summer and cold in winter that is why you put a cover on em but it has gotta have a sunroof