The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   3000gt (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31504)

AppStateSVX 02-12-2006 10:22 PM

3000gt

hey everyone,

well, as much as I hate to be leaving the SVX community (in ownership only!) I will be selling the SVX pretty soon. I hope to buy another SVX when I graduate from college, but wow - it is hard own one in college.

In looking for a replacement, I have come across a pretty good deal on a 92 3000GT base. Does anyone here have any experience with them? I test drove one about a year ago and was pretty impressed. what does everyone else think of them or know anything?

SubaSteevo 02-12-2006 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppStateSVX
hey everyone,

well, as much as I hate to be leaving the SVX community (in ownership only!) I will be selling the SVX pretty soon. I hope to buy another SVX when I graduate from college, but wow - it is hard own one in college.

In looking for a replacement, I have come across a pretty good deal on a 92 3000GT base. Does anyone here have any experience with them? I test drove one about a year ago and was pretty impressed. what does everyone else think of them or know anything?

Well I know they too are prone to transmission problems, only a rebuild will cost you $4k+

SilverSpear 02-12-2006 11:16 PM

From what I have heard, those cars are worse than the SVX. Either get an Impreza RS or keep your car

Mike621 02-12-2006 11:48 PM

Drove one, wasnt really impressed. Extremely cramped inside, unreliable, and transmission problems. Its basically a smaller, less comfortable and less classy SVX thats prone to spontaneous combustion as indicated by its Mitsu/DSM heritage..

AppStateSVX 02-12-2006 11:54 PM

oh, ok, i guess that wouldn't be a good thing......:D

how about the 300zx? (N/A of course)

SilverSpear 02-13-2006 12:05 AM

I think it's a good car..:rolleyes:

Weebitob 02-13-2006 12:24 AM

I think that unless its a VR4, a 3kgt is really not worth getting. But that is my opinion considering it is the VR4 that has the all imfamous driveshaft problems, which effect 1994 and before 3kGTs. It is a shame that there was no NA AWD 3kGT sold in the US.

For a good FWD sporty car that would cost less to maintain and would I would go with the Eclipse GTS or Celica GT, not to mention the Civic Si. It is either that or what AppleStateSVX suggested with the NA 300ZX as well as the, dare I say. Mustang, Camaro or Pantiac GTP. As for more unique autos there is the GMC Typhoon or Isuzu Vehicross.:rolleyes:

Landshark 02-13-2006 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weebitob

For a good FWD sporty car that would cost less to maintain and would I would go with the Eclipse GTS or Celica GT, not to mention the Civic Si.

...or he could get a man's car. :D

Weebitob 02-13-2006 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark
...or he could get a man's car. :D

And what would that be, maintenance cost pending?:p

Landshark 02-13-2006 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weebitob
And what would that be, maintenance cost pending?:p

a WS6 Trans-Am is the world's fast0rest and most reliable car evAr. it intimidates other cars, and drops the panties off teh wimmenz.

SSSVX 02-13-2006 01:52 AM

Those cars you're looking at, they seem to be also hard to own one in the college....:rolleyes:

Ricochet 02-13-2006 04:24 AM

^what he said

AppStateSVX 02-13-2006 09:29 AM

I have a pretty good job, so money has never really been a problem with owning the SVX. My biggest problem with it is the length of time it takes to find the right parts, unless I want to get them from the dealership. It's kind of funny, one of my favorite things about the SVX (exclusivity) is the main reason I have to let it go.....:(

I will def. stick around though, the person I'm selling it to has huge plans for the car, and he only lives about an hour away. I will prbly still go to the Dragon Meet to finally get to know some of you guys. Kind of like Chike, i'm only parting in ownership.

While some people keep telling me to just buy a 4 door sedan to last me through college, owning an SVX has def. stopped that from ever happening, it's funny how once you drive a car like the SVX, the thought of a family sedan makes me sick to my stomach.:D

SubaSteevo 02-13-2006 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppStateSVX
I have a pretty good job, so money has never really been a problem with owning the SVX. My biggest problem with it is the length of time it takes to find the right parts, unless I want to get them from the dealership. It's kind of funny, one of my favorite things about the SVX (exclusivity) is the main reason I have to let it go.....:(

I will def. stick around though, the person I'm selling it to has huge plans for the car, and he only lives about an hour away. I will prbly still go to the Dragon Meet to finally get to know some of you guys. Kind of like Chike, i'm only parting in ownership.

While some people keep telling me to just buy a 4 door sedan to last me through college, owning an SVX has def. stopped that from ever happening, it's funny how once you drive a car like the SVX, the thought of a family sedan makes me sick to my stomach.:D

I think the 300zx might be a good match for what you're looking for. I know a few people who have one, and have not heard any complaints about reliability. They are still relatively low in production numbers though, so don't expect finding parts to be that much easier than with the SVX. Also, those with low mileage tend to be priced high concidering their age.

P.S. Alan, the SRT-4 is fastAr!!11!!!!1

AppStateSVX 02-13-2006 10:43 AM

i've been doing some research lately, and it seems like the 3000GTs only really have problems with the automatics (what else is new?) so if I go that route, i'll def be getting a 5 spd (which I was planning on anyway).
300ZX's are still pretty expensive, but they seem to be really reliable, and have a lot of potential, not sure if RWD is good for the mountains, but I guess chains were invented for that purpose.