The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   what do i need to check? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8949)

4wordSOUL 02-23-2003 07:44 PM

what do i need to check?

I'm thinking of getting a '94 with 90k on it, what problems should i ask the mechanic to check for? and is there a way they can see how the tranny is doing, i drove it and it seemed pretty tight, not loose at engagement or when i accellerated. thanks.

MNYPNNY 02-23-2003 08:15 PM

Yea! Another one in Colorado!!!!

Make certain they check out any slippage in the transmission.
Also, the most obvious problems are wheel bearings and warped brake rotors.

~~Michelle

JLittell 02-23-2003 09:09 PM

Welcome 4wordSOUL! I too have a '94 with 89K. Most of the quirks were fixed between the '94-'97. These cars are pretty reliable.. Buy it!, and get registered on this Network!

Seraph 02-23-2003 09:58 PM

If you have a member near you, ask him/her to check the car out for you.

L

SVXdriver_007 02-24-2003 12:36 AM

Feel free to learn from my mistakes.

1. If you smell antifreeze its probably got a leak.
2. If the person you bought it from has installed lights onto your side mirror then the mirror probably doesn't work anymore.
3. if the person you are buying fom has made a custom exhaust by cutting out the resonator, and painitng the muffler red walk away...who knows what esle they did.
4. Test everything it sucks to be half way home and discover that the wiper blades are improperly installed, especialy when its raining :rolleyes:

A few other things to check are,
1. Smell the tranny fluid if it smells burnt...it is,
2. Take it for a drive then check the wheels for heat on the rims if the bearings are bad they can heat up the rims
3. Test everyhting electrical.

probably the best thing to do is find a member near by and ask them to look at it, Like Seraph said, take it to a garage have a Mechanic give it a look-over it may cost you a few bucks but could save you in the long run.

Welcome to the Forums, I'm pretty new also but so far everyone is really cool, and this place is an excelent source of info.

Shane

svx_commuter 02-24-2003 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXdriver_007
Feel free to learn from my mistakes.

2. Take it for a drive then check the wheels for heat on the rims if the bearings are bad they can heat up the rims

Shane

Good points you have here. :) I was wondering about this one though. How do you separate bearing heat from brake heat? Will the rims get hot just from stopping?

John

wawazat?? 02-24-2003 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter

Good points you have here. :) I was wondering about this one though. How do you separate bearing heat from brake heat? Will the rims get hot just from stopping?

John

I don't believe you can separate the two John. The wheels will definitely get hot from braking. Have you ever washed your car right after a drive? Water vaporizes when it sits on the wheels.

Todd

SVXdriver_007 02-24-2003 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wawazat??

I don't believe you can separate the two John. The wheels will definitely get hot from braking. Have you ever washed your car right after a drive? Water vaporizes when it sits on the wheels.

Todd

But that would depend on the amount of braking your doing take the car on a dip up the road no heavy braking, try to go in a strait line where you wont require to much braking. Its not the most scientific method but it can help.