The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Ice climbing photos (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16293)

rufus 02-09-2004 05:33 PM

Ice climbing photos

I posted some new photos from my weekend trip to upstate New York in my locker, in case anyone is interested. A couple of them are from Ricketts Glen state park in northern PA, the rest are from the Lake Placid/Keene Valley area in the Adirondacks.

-MW

glide 02-09-2004 07:20 PM

sweet

Nice pics. I hope to make it out somewhere local to do some climbing soon and maybe head up to the Keen valley in mid to late march.

I was up there two years ago and it was a blast. I'll see if I can find some pics and stick them in my locker.

newsvx 02-09-2004 08:48 PM

Re: Ice climbing photos

Quote:

Originally posted by rufus
I posted some new photos from my weekend trip to upstate New York in my locker, in case anyone is interested. A couple of them are from Ricketts Glen state park in northern PA, the rest are from the Lake Placid/Keene Valley area in the Adirondacks.

-MW

Mike,
You look COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: Great pics! I could never do that ice climbing stuff! Too cold for me, and besides that, I would have the nerve. Now jumping out of an airplane? You bet! Well, maybe in my "younger" years!

Harry

SVXRide 02-09-2004 08:50 PM

Mike,
You're going to have to change your Avatar to DareDevil!
Be careful out there!
-Bill

rufus 02-10-2004 05:55 AM

Re: sweet

Quote:

Originally posted by glide
Nice pics. I hope to make it out somewhere local to do some climbing soon and maybe head up to the Keen valley in mid to late march.

I was up there two years ago and it was a blast. I'll see if I can find some pics and stick them in my locker.

You don't live too far from me, and I have extra axes, crampons, even boots if you wear something in the 9.5-10 range. Maybe we can get a day trip in sometime.

rufus 02-10-2004 05:58 AM

I just checked your locker and saw your ice climbing shot. Where was that taken? It kind of looks like the first pitch of Chouinard's Gully...

glide 02-11-2004 08:25 AM

It's not Choinards, but it's off the same lake. Back in to the right if your facing Choinards. (forgive the spelling)

I have all my own gear, so I think a day trip might be in order.
I work with a couple guys who climb, and we were discussing the same thing.

Unfortunately we work weekends, so odds are it will be a Tuesday if we go anywhere. Can you get off work mid week?

I'll try and get a few dates together.

rufus 02-11-2004 12:57 PM

I can, but the next couple weeks are going to be tough. We'll keep an eye on the weather and maybe try for the first week or so in March.

glide 02-11-2004 08:59 PM

perfect

I'll do the same.
PM me if you see anything and I'll keep checking this post as well.
I have to warn you though, I'm still a rookie at climbing. I'm nowhere ready to lead without a top rope.
However, the guy I climb with at work is excellent.

I'll be in touch.

rufus 02-12-2004 08:20 AM

Don't worry about your skill level. I don't really enjoy "hard" ice climbing very much anyway. I'm comfortable leading anything in the 3 to 3+ range, and normally stick to routes of that difficulty. Something about placing an ice screw while hanging from one arm just doesn't agree with me :D

I used to push it and climb hard in my younger days, but now I find I get more enjoyment from a long "moderate" wilderness route than I do trying to climb something scary hard. I also took a near-fatal ground fall a few years back that re-arranged my climbing priorities a bit. :D

I'm heading back up to New England next week for four days; maybe Vermont this time. Hopefully I'll have a few more pictures to share.

glide 02-12-2004 08:34 AM

Sounds like a good trip.
Let me know if you can take a tuesday off, and we can plan something local.

Ron Mummert 02-12-2004 08:43 AM

I also took a near-fatal ground fall a few years back that re-arranged my climbing priorities a bit. :D

Enjoy the trip, Mike, but don't break anything that would prevent you from turning a wrench this summer.

Ron.

rufus 02-12-2004 09:34 AM

Ron, it is always good to know I have friends that truly care in the way you do. It brings a little tear to my eye.

When are we going to start working on your autocross car, anyway?

:D

Ron Mummert 02-12-2004 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by rufus
Ron, it is always good to know I have friends that truly care in the way you do. It brings a little tear to my eye.

When are we going to start working on your autocross car, anyway?

:D

Your welfare is always a concern of mine, Mike, especially since a dead mechanic is a useless mechanic.

When the snow melts, & the garage gets up to maybe 50 degrees, I'll yank the leaky radiator & insert the new one.
Then I'll register the beast & get the windshield fixed.
Then it's driftin' & dreamin' time.

Ron (shopping for "Type R" Nissan decals).

calmone 02-14-2004 09:24 AM

don't you feet get cold??

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, i've had enough ice this winter!!!!!!!!!!!!