The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   New Outback Info (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61882)

ensteele 07-07-2013 03:14 PM

New Outback Info

Hi

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the new Outbacks? I don't mean looks, but anything else. Engine, transmission, functions of the car etc.

Thanks in advance.

dcarrb 07-08-2013 05:42 AM

Re: New Outback Info

A very non-specific endorsement: The couple who recently sold me their '08 Outback (definitely an "It's All We'll Drive" family) moved up to a 2013 model. He wanted a Forester and she didn't, but he has had nothing but good things to say about the Outback.

dcb

immortal_suby 07-08-2013 02:19 PM

We've had a 2010 and now a 2012 and my Dad has had a 2010 and now a 2013. All of them have been the 2.5L with CVT. Great mileage for the size of the car. We traded in our '08 tribeca on the 2010 OB when we realized that the much larger tribeca had about the same interior space and storage space but got a lousy 18mpg vs. 30ish by Dad was getting in his OB.

Handling is less than ideal with the soft continentals and tiny rear sway bar but both can be upgraded.

Lately we've been towing my 16 ft. bass tracker with it and it does pretty well considering it's only a 4 cylinder.

Overall it's a great family car. We've had zero maintenance problems in all 4 of these vehicles. The 2013 models also had a good upgrade to the engine, suspension, and CVT.

SVX92-97 07-09-2013 04:19 PM

Earl, thinking of expanding the Herd in a new direction;)

svxcess 07-09-2013 04:58 PM

We have the new generation Outback (2010 Limited) and it has been a stellar performer since day one. The car has never given us a moment's trouble.

Currently we have over 180,000 miles on it and it runs like a Swiss watch. No unscheduled maintenance or anything failing. Never a CE light. Nothing. Just a few minor recalls that were fixed.

Besides changing the timing belt at 110,000, and oil changes. I have not spent any money on this car other than factory services. We are on our 3rd set of brake pads (original rotors) and our 3rd set of OE tires, but that is expected. We are still on the original plugs.

We have the 2.5L engine with the CVT gearbox. Our mileage is between 29 and 31mpg on our mostly highway commute. Very comfortable and responsive to drive and is the most trouble-free Subaru I have ever owned.

The newer Outbacks and especially the Forester are even better, with improvements in the CVT technology and elsewhere. The new Forester rides and performs almost as well, with a slightly reduced cargo capacity. It also offers nice touches like a power liftgate and buttons to automatically fold down the rear seats.

The 2.5 engine is more than adequate for our needs and the CVT is really versatile.

The only thing I would not want on this car is the "EyeSight" system. It is more of an annoyance and a nuisance than anything. They refer to it as a "collision avoidance system"

A funny side note:

When we bought the Outback, we were offered lifetime oil changes for only $299.00. At the time, they did not know of my commute or the mileage I put on my vehicles. I just go into the dealer and they change my oil and filter every 7500 miles and I leave-- no charge.

Two weeks ago, I went in for my 24th oil change. That breaks down to only $12.46 each and slightly cheaper each time.

I am sure when I buy my next Subaru from them, they will not repeat the offer :lol:

Blacky 07-09-2013 06:27 PM

We bought a 2012 6 speed last November. It's been excellent so far. It's quiet and smooth on the highway with around 34mpg (Canadian gallon).
We sold the OEM wheels with the "shipping tires" immediately and put on Konig rims and Hankook H727 tires plus replaced the rear swaybar with the direct bolt-on WRX 19mm bar. It improved the sway in the breeze handling immensely.
The new ones have a redesigned engine with a timing chain and I believe the larger swaybar.

ensteele 07-09-2013 07:02 PM

Thanks to all that replied. I purchased a 2013 Outback yesterday and love it. It is the Ice Silver Metallic and the got the limited edition. I am selling the other 2 Outbacks that I have - 1998 and a 2000 and now I have a very reliable daily driver.

svxcess 07-09-2013 07:09 PM

Add it to your signature and give her a name...

Don't forget to tint those front side windows to match. Definitely worth it with a dark interior.
One of the first things we did.

immortal_suby 07-10-2013 01:55 PM

Congratulations, Earl. I hope you enjoy it!

subeman90 07-10-2013 03:09 PM

congrats Earl!

I'm glad to hear about everyone's success with the CVT. That is one thing that I was concerned about with my Crosstrek.

SVX92-97 07-10-2013 04:17 PM

Earl, did you ever consider opening your own used subaru car dealership. You would be very successful;) What are you selling those outbacks for and whats the mileage. Any photos?

shelfy 07-11-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subeman90 (Post 725890)
I'm glad to hear about everyone's success with the CVT. That is one thing that I was concerned about with my Crosstrek.

Once you go CVT, you never go back!

SVX92-97 07-11-2013 05:42 PM

Im hoping to find out sooner than later;)

benebob 07-16-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelfy (Post 725918)
Once you go CVT, you never go back!

If that were true, then why do they all come with fake gears?

Landshark 07-17-2013 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelfy (Post 725918)
Once you go TC-SST, you never go back!

fiksed. :D