The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   SVX - Canyon Carver! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18337)

Chiketkd 04-29-2004 02:01 PM

SVX - Canyon Carver!

After owning my SVX for almost a week, the technological pedigree of this car continues to amaze me with each drive...

With my previous two cars being your good ol' american point-n-shoot '95 Camaro Z28 and 2000 SVT Lightning - both of which had waaay more hp than my SVX - I'm just thoroughly impressed by the way the SVX can cover the twisties markedly faster than anything I've ever driven (including my '90 300ZX TT)!

Yesterday, for instance, I took a route home which took me to 2.1 miles of lonely, twisty road where you would often find skid marks of cars that completely drove off the road into the ravine below... (gulp):eek: The fastest my 380hp/450 ft-lb Lightning could cover this distance - with all four tires singing - was 3 min 10s at an average speed of 39mph. In my SVX, I was able to cover this horrendous stretch of road in just under 2 min 54s, without even breaking a tire loose.

Now, I'm not encouraging hooliganistic driving on the streets by any means (I personally have already attended several performance driving schools), but has anyone else ever gone looking for twisty roads to 'carve' SVX style? :D

-Chike

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...etkd/17290.jpg

Mr. Pockets 04-29-2004 02:48 PM

Re: SVX - Canyon Carver!

Quote:

Originally posted by Chiketkd
The fastest my 380hp/450 ft-lb Lightning could cover this distance - with all four tires singing - was 3 min 10s at an average speed of 39mph. In my SVX, I was able to cover this horrendous stretch of road in just under 2 min 54s, without even breaking a tire loose.
The difference between the CoG of the Lightning and SVX is probably enough to account for most of that.

SVXRide 04-29-2004 03:05 PM

Take the slop out of the sway bars with urethane bushings and put some stickier tires on (Azenis for the street) and you'll be even more amazed. Go with Mychailo's springs/rear sway bar and Koni inserts and be even more amazed (the Koni part is still missing from my "amazed" bag!).
-Bill

Chiketkd 04-29-2004 03:14 PM

Re: Re: SVX - Canyon Carver!

Very true...but my 300ZX was also low to the ground like the SVX. While I never did a timed run with the 300ZX, I know it wasn't as fast or confidence inspiring in the twisties. The HICAS system would make the car feel 'twitchy' at the limit - and if you ever crossed that limit it would go from moderate understeer to snap oversteer...faster than you could say HOLY $#*%!

The SVX was born to carve! :cool:

-Chike

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
The difference between the CoG of the Lightning and SVX is probably enough to account for most of that.

Chiketkd 04-29-2004 03:16 PM

Will do! I actually planned to do those suspension upgrades to my car later this year - along with the camber adjustment kit. Once it's installed, it'll be AutoX time baby!!!! :D

-Chike

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXRide
Take the slop out of the sway bars with urethane bushings and put some stickier tires on (Azenis for the street) and you'll be even more amazed. Go with Mychailo's springs/rear sway bar and Koni inserts and be even more amazed (the Koni part is still missing from my "amazed" bag!).
-Bill

Andy 04-29-2004 03:23 PM

Get your wheels on the right way and you will shave off at least another 10 seconds :D

GreenMarine 04-30-2004 09:01 AM

Hey Chike,

You're coming to the Dragon Meet in June aren't ya??? I'll be there with the other SVX's in the Southeast with the Koni/GC suspension and about 100 WRX's or so... It is the highlight of my summer...

Chiketkd 04-30-2004 09:21 AM

I'd love to attend but we'll have to see. I had to put more money down on my SVX than expected when I bought her. Funds may be tight on my side for a couple more months, until I get a promomtion & raise that my CFO has promised me this upcoming July/August. :)

-Chike

Quote:

Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
Hey Chike,

You're coming to the Dragon Meet in June aren't ya??? I'll be there with the other SVX's in the Southeast with the Koni/GC suspension and about 100 WRX's or so... It is the highlight of my summer...

immortal_suby 05-01-2004 08:19 AM

Dragon

318 curves, 11 miles. :D

http://webpages.charter.net/dheyvis/DRAGONmap.gif

Porter 05-01-2004 08:55 AM

And 200 of your fellow Subaru fanatics. :D

http://dragon.drbiggly.com

Chiketkd 05-01-2004 04:57 PM

*drool* :cool:

CarveKing 05-01-2004 06:32 PM

Yeah,
The SVX was meant to "carve" (see screen name! albeit, I am just getting started on my Pearlie). I put 225/40/18 Azenis ST-115 (I just couldn't justify the Sports to my wife:o ) and the resulting change in cornering ability was just terrific. I can't wait to modify the suspension and eventually get some super sticky rubber underneath me.
Carve On!

Chiketkd 05-01-2004 06:49 PM

Lol! That's awesome...carve on! :D

Quote:

Originally posted by CarveKing
Yeah,
The SVX was meant to "carve" (see screen name! albeit, I am just getting started on my Pearlie). I put 225/40/18 Azenis ST-115 (I just couldn't justify the Sports to my wife:o ) and the resulting change in cornering ability was just terrific. I can't wait to modify the suspension and eventually get some super sticky rubber underneath me.
Carve On!

immortal_suby 05-01-2004 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CarveKing
\ I put 225/40/18 Azenis ST-115 (I just couldn't justify the Sports to my wife:o ) \
I got over a year on my 17" sports - bought them last year february. They didn't do nearly as bad as I was expecting. I spent the last half hour looking for a receipt but can't find it. I probably have 20-25k on them. They are pretty much slicks now but they still stick like superglue.

LarryIII 05-02-2004 07:41 AM

Chike,

If you're going to carve up those twities on a regular basis, I suggest that you buy a set of rear wheel brgs. and be ready to change them.