The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Broken drivers side glass (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=63659)

spacepig 09-16-2015 02:42 PM

Broken drivers side glass

Hey guys, so the upper part of my driver window (the non-moving part) shattered completely RANDOMLY. The car has been sitting for a few months in my driveway while I'm at school and the door hasn't been opened for a few weeks. We've ruled out vandalism, etc. which is already doubtful since it's just the upper part and there is no apparent impact damage, just a uniform shatter!

Does anyone have any ideas what could cause this? Also where can I source this window piece? Is it easily removed from a complete svx door or should I just replace the whole door?

SVXRide 09-16-2015 07:22 PM

Re: Broken drivers side glass

I have the glass, recently removed from a door by an auto glass company. They told me that they run $800 new. I'm willing to sell it for much less than that.

Bill

sicksubie 09-18-2015 10:43 AM

And I am willing to transport this back to MA if expediency is not needed. I will be down in MD sometime in the next couple months and if not then, I definitely will be down around the holidays.

spacepig 09-18-2015 01:30 PM

Already got one ordered on eBay with the right tint for $50 so I suppose I came out already in that regard! As long as the glass gets to my door in one piece :tard:

any ideas on how the glass could shatter randomly?

Also, would either of you have an extra drivers master window switch panel?

SVXRide 09-18-2015 04:59 PM

Now you're looking for a unicorn ;)

B

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacepig (Post 741973)
Already got one ordered on eBay with the right tint for $50 so I suppose I came out already in that regard! As long as the glass gets to my door in one piece :tard:

any ideas on how the glass could shatter randomly?

Also, would either of you have an extra drivers master window switch panel?

Brian 12-16-2018 06:35 AM

Did you ever et the new glass installed? How did you do it? What did it cost?

RisingPhoenix 01-06-2019 11:26 PM

Well, I'm not sure where to post this, but since we're talking windows on this thread....

I have a 1992 SVX with 300,000k original miles.. she's been to hell and back..runs strong still!!! Truly amazing.
Anyway, I did a search on Google and come up with nothing on replacing the metal flashing (not sure what it's called) which sits just above the door (yeah, that shiny metal thing that used to be covered in plastic) and lays flat against the driver/passenger windows.

Well, the plastic has been slowly breaking off in small pieces over the years... (Showing the metal underneath)

Now, where are the How-Tos on replacing this piece? Even more so, where would we find the OEM replacement?

RisingPhoenix 01-06-2019 11:39 PM

A whole new door would be EEExpensive!!! Well over $1200.00 is just a guess..

Just find the replacement glass then find a good Collision mechanic install it.

I had Appleway reinstall mine when the cable came off the window *Regulator* motor...back in their glory days before they became Auto Nation.
Their service was great..and cheap!
Now their Collision Center only do work on cars with full warranty.(No SVXes anymore) :(

Well, yeah, they have their *Full Service* technicians in their main shop and you don't want to know their sticker price.
Expect a $2k bill excluding parts and up to 1 month wait....

To add, (only couple hours wait in their Collision Center shop) and Collision Center is much more specialized.

Anyway, some food for thought.