The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sunroof (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5861)

Kienan 09-11-2002 12:32 AM

Sunroof

I need help with my sunroof, It works, but to get it to start going up i need to give a bit of a push on it (it seems to get stuck), then once it is up, it slides back and forward, but when i try and put it back down, it does not want to go down, i need to give a push on the back of it to make it slot a slight way forward, then it will go down.

Can anyone help with this??

Kienan

I_Alcyone_I 09-11-2002 04:41 AM

first clean the track as best you can, second right behind the dome light ther is a cap, pop it off and there will be a nut in there, that is the clutch nut for the sunroof motor, tighten that a little. First thing is first, clean the track, if something is stuck (pine needs, moss, sticks, squirrels) in there you will just damage the sunroof motor if you tighten the nut.

Green1995SVX 09-11-2002 06:05 AM

I moved this thread over to the Tech. section... thought it might get some more attention here.

Mike

Paisan 09-11-2002 06:22 AM

I have the same problem. I just help it up, but I'm gonna clean it and see if I can tighten that nut.

-mike

Ca$h 09-11-2002 09:18 AM

I need to do this too. Anyone use grease on the rails? I was thinking like white lithium, either that or triflow. Or would this just attract more dirt?

- Ca$h

Seraph 09-11-2002 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ca$h
I need to do this too. Anyone use grease on the rails? I was thinking like white lithium, either that or triflow. Or would this just attract more dirt?

- Ca$h

I don't know but I would assume that it will become gunk with dirt esp. if you leave that open while driving.

-- L

Ca$h 09-11-2002 11:32 AM

Hrm. I guess use Tri-Flow, or some other silicone based lubricant. Why?

1992 Subaru SVX 6-3300cc 3.3L DOHC
Sticking Sun Roof

9215subaru01
NUMBER: 12-53-9
DATE: 12-16-91

APPLICABILITY SVX

SUBJECT: SVX STICKING SUN ROOF

The SVX sun roof weatherstrip should be lubricated with a silicone spray at PDI. This will prevent a sticking complaint when operating the sun roof of a new vehicle. The sticking is caused by a high sliding resistance between the new weatherstrip and the roof panel.

With use and age, the weatherstrip will conform to the roof panel and no future problems will be encountered.

A production change has been incorporated to modify the weatherstrip and to eliminate the necessity for PDI lubrication:
Starting Vin: N*106751
Starting Date: November 4, 1991

Sunroofs on all vehicles produced prior to this change should be lubricated at PDI. This will help ensure customer satisfaction by eliminating a potential complaint.

Kienan 09-11-2002 10:15 PM

thanks for that guys

I have cleaned the tracks, lubricated the seals, and tried to turn the "clutch" nut behind the light, trying it in both directions. But it does not seem to change what is happening.

I will keep on trying with this.

Thanks once again
Kienan

Paisan 09-12-2002 06:15 AM

While we are on the topic.

I've measured the roof and it appears to be the same size as the 2.5RS roof. For which you can get a glass roof for about $100!

Anyone out there done this yet?

-mike

Aredubjay 09-12-2002 09:03 AM

Re: thanks for that guys

Quote:

Originally posted by Kienan
I have cleaned the tracks, lubricated the seals, and tried to turn the "clutch" nut behind the light, trying it in both directions. But it does not seem to change what is happening.

I will keep on trying with this.

Thanks once again
Kienan

I've done all of the above, and then some. Mine still sticks. :( I finally gave up and just, automatically give it a shove when opening. I noticed, one day, a small half circular plastic fragment that looked like a piece of a broken roller. I've looked for the spot from whence it came, but can't seem to find anything. Must be buried pretty deep into the system. That may be the problem. Mine will still open by itself, at speed (well, 60 MPH or so), but still needs help at standstill.

The "closing" problem doesn't happen quite as often. It only sporadically will not close. I'm imagining that the broken roller has something to do with that also. That may be your problem, and you'll either have to live with it, or spend many wallabees for a new sunroof assembly. :(

Aredubjay 09-12-2002 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Paisan
While we are on the topic.

I've measured the roof and it appears to be the same size as the 2.5RS roof. For which you can get a glass roof for about $100!

Anyone out there done this yet?

-mike

Several people have tossed around the idea of a custom glass roof, but I don't think anyone has pursued it in earnest. You're welcomed to be our R&D man on this project. :D

Paisan 09-12-2002 09:17 AM

We measured it up against the RS same unit, so it should be a plug and play operation. If I decide to go with it, I'll let you guys know.

-mike

Aredubjay 09-12-2002 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Paisan
We measured it up against the RS same unit, so it should be a plug and play operation. If I decide to go with it, I'll let you guys know.

-mike

Please do. I'd be willing to do this on "The Evil Twin." :D

Seraph 09-12-2002 10:49 AM

me too.
I thought SVX roof has a little more curve than the other car.

Lwin

Paisan 09-12-2002 12:16 PM

hmm I'll be seeing some RS guys tonight so I'll compare.

-mike