The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Will a 96 subaru impreza tranny work??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42573)

Mr.EG33 12-31-2007 02:34 PM

Will a 96 subaru impreza tranny work???

OK, so I found a 96 Impreza tranny for a good deal but will it work?? If so what will I have to modify if anything? My car is a 92 SVX LS-L

Thank you all for your help :D

jeffast 12-31-2007 02:35 PM

yes it will fit, you need a x-member and pedal cluster and a little wiring know how

svxpert 12-31-2007 02:41 PM

is the tranny an auto or manual?

Mr.EG33 12-31-2007 02:42 PM

So even if its an auto Ill still need the pedel cluster? Also does anyone know what or how I need to rewire? I mean I can hanle the wiring but I just dont know what to rewire :confused:

Also thank you jeffast for you help I appriciate it :D

Mr.EG33 12-31-2007 02:43 PM

Its an auto tranny - sorry for not including that on my post. :o

jeffast 12-31-2007 02:46 PM

oh,
you just need the transmission, and the rear diff. ignore my previouse post i thought you were doing a 5 speed swap. It will bolt right in, in place of the current transmission.
I also reccomend that you grab the tcu, but the svx one should still work with it, but its good to have incase.
oh also grab the flexplate, the svx one won't bolt up to the impreza tq converter, it is reccomended that you use the svx tq converter, but i had trouble getting mine to seat.

Mr.EG33 12-31-2007 03:11 PM

OK so grab the rear diff, but the tq convertor on my SVX is fine or grab the Imprezza one?? Also is it better then the one on the SVX? Is the diff better? Will I have to change my shafts :confused: Sorry for all the questions I just wanna get it done correctly :)

Once again thx for all the help :D

crazyhorse 12-31-2007 03:25 PM

The reccomendation is to use the SVX torque converter. The Impreza won't bolt to the SVX flex plate IIRC. The differential will need to have the gears swapped into the SVX housing, to keep the limited slip intact.

Keep on asking, it's the VERY best way to learn.:D

Mr.EG33 12-31-2007 03:43 PM

OK so I talked to the guy and he said I can have the rear diff for an extra $100 so $600 total ;) so just take the gears out of the Impreza case and put them in the SVX case? So pretty much tranny - switch gears in diff case and Im all set :confused: I dont need to change anything else.....

Thank you for all your help everyone!!!! :D

crazyhorse 12-31-2007 03:49 PM

Not as far as I know, but I'm betting one of the Toms will chime in if I'm wrong. :)

Mr.EG33 12-31-2007 04:55 PM

OK, so it looks like all is good then! :D Just one more question.... Im going to take out the gears from the Impreza diff and put them into my SVX diff :confused: So if the gears fit right in then why not just use the Imprezza diff? Im a lil lost on that point :o Also just to clarify one more time before I got by all the stuff - I need the tranny and diff and Im good to go other then the gear swithching of the diffs??

Thank you everyone for your help in support in my time of need :D

crazyhorse 12-31-2007 04:59 PM

you swap the gears into the SVX housing, because the SVX has a limited slip, or positrac rear diff.

I honestly don't know if the impreza diff is a bolt in or not. I DO know that the gears are though. With the provision that you set them up properly.

Mr.EG33 12-31-2007 05:20 PM

Well sounds like its a go.... How do I setup the gears though :confused: do you have any pics or a thread that does show?

Thx for all the help :D

crazyhorse 12-31-2007 05:53 PM

OH TOM(S)!!!
A little help here! LOL

benebob 12-31-2007 06:03 PM

Go to Hucks write up in his locker for the rear dif info. I wouldn't reuse a torque converter from a bad tranny (if that's the case). It'd be like reusing your motor oil after a piston imploded.;) At the very least I'd have it cleaned professionally.