The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Brake Upgrades (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Brembos... Finally doing the test (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35828)

TomsSVX 10-25-2006 10:31 PM

Brembos... Finally doing the test

Well I guess I am gonna be that guy... I know Tom's BB kit is a great idea but we are still stuck with our stock calipers... which may be shot after 15yrs of use... Instead of buy a set of rebuilt stock calipers and all that nonsense I have made the decision to make the leap. I am bidding on a set of front calipers, rotors, pads and lines for an 05 Sti... The Gold brembos found on the stock STi. Nothing that special but this is more or less a trial run to see if they will fit... If they do, this opens up a very large aftermarket for front brakes... I know we have discussed that the SVX braking system is good enough but I want to get rid of my old calipers. So in finishing, I am gonna see what we can do... If they don't fit, I toss em back on Ebay and take a loss, it will be worth it

Tom

sicksubie 10-25-2006 10:42 PM

If you need anything fabricated for this send me a sketch

TomsSVX 10-25-2006 11:35 PM

Well like I said, I am bidding on them now so I haven't won them yet. I have been waiting to find a set of fronts for a while and finally found them alone. I just hope they come with pads, even if they don't they are not too much. I will let u know, if they are not a direct bolt up, I am going to sell them and not even bother with the brackets

Tom

hexadec0079 10-25-2006 11:44 PM

if you do get them and sell some sort of kit or very nice write up, I know I would be willing to paypal you a few dollars to offset the cost. Guys, come on, we can help him out, right?

TomsSVX 10-26-2006 12:01 AM

Well how about this... Since I cannot get in touch with anyone who wants to take the money for the network fundraiser I had going, why not buy some SVX manual CD's from me as a brembo fundraiser??haha

Tom

TomsSVX 10-26-2006 06:01 PM

well 1 day left in the auction... Heres to hoping I get em

Tom

gest24 10-26-2006 06:13 PM

Hey Tom, what measurements would we need to see if they work? I talked to Troy at Group 5 Motorsports. He told me he couldn't let me pull the brakes off and try them on mine but I'm more than welcome to take measuments/pictures.

TomsSVX 10-26-2006 08:22 PM

pull your brakes and try and mount em on the STi...

Tom

curly2k3 10-27-2006 06:18 AM

good luck tom, hope you can score them, and i hope they work!

Bwana 10-27-2006 11:01 AM

I've been waiting for my friend with an 05 STi to get a BBK so I could attempt this for free....guess you beat me to it. :p

Tim 10-27-2006 03:09 PM

I'll trade you my 97 grille :p

TomsSVX 10-27-2006 06:38 PM

Well, sorry to say it but I have been outbid. I unfortunately cannot blow more than $750 on a set of front brakes that "might" work right now. That was my limit and someone else beat it. If it was a shill I may get a second chance offer but I will only give em 650 for em because that is a dick maneuver... Anyway, I have already contacted someone else about maybe buying a set from him so we will see. This is not a dead topic

Tom

drivemusicnow 10-27-2006 08:01 PM

Tom, Do you know the master cylinder size on the STi's?

I'm not sure spending the money on the STi calipers is worth it when for a similar amount (probably 300$ more) you could have Todd at TCE custom make the adapter, fit HUGE rotors and some wilwoods. He is a great guy, and is almost always willing to work with you to figure out custom adapters/rotor offsets etc.

TomsSVX 10-27-2006 08:27 PM

Well more or less it was a shot in the dark. I wanted to see if they would work so the question would be answered... I am looking to upgrade the fronts on the silver... Can u get a quote for the whole system??

Tom

TomsSVX 10-28-2006 07:53 PM

Ok found another set. They are for a 5x100 lug pattern though so I guess I will have to have them drilled out to 5x114... Anyway $800 for front and rears with rotors... I should be getting them fairly soon...

Tom