The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   ECU Tune Projects (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Engine Build Progress and Questions (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39105)

svxfiles 11-02-2007 09:31 AM

Overheard in YT's classroom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 505832)
grumble grumble.... murder.... grumble... damn homeroom.... grumble

Tom

"HEHEHEhehehe, "Old Man Johnson" dosen't remember what its like to be a kid"
"Yea, he's just an old grouch!"

cdigerlando 11-02-2007 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicksubie (Post 505830)
I think that we were seeing knock because boost was coming on too fast and too soon. The bypass valve spring is too stiff which is also why we are only seeing about 10-11" of vacuum. Tom said that it should be around 15-16" and the reason it is not is that we actually have small amounts of boost occurring at idle. I will let him explain it further though.

It sounds like you are still chasing a vacuum leak. If the bypass is working properly it should not be leaking. Do you have any way to plug the bypass line and run the motor at idle only to see if this fixes the vacuum leak?

Boost comming on quick is the wonderful thing about superchargers. I bet what is happening is the cams are allowing the supercharger to work much more efficiently, causing your boost to go up throughout the rev curve. I think you may need to do some more tuning with this motor. I'm glad you are bringing this up, as this will be an issue for all of us to deal with.

sicksubie 11-02-2007 12:12 PM

His motor isn't even built yet though and he won't be running a stage III set up......

sicksubie 11-02-2007 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdigerlando (Post 505870)
It sounds like you are still chasing a vacuum leak. If the bypass is working properly it should not be leaking. Do you have any way to plug the bypass line and run the motor at idle only to see if this fixes the vacuum leak?

Boost comming on quick is the wonderful thing about superchargers. I bet what is happening is the cams are allowing the supercharger to work much more efficiently, causing your boost to go up throughout the rev curve. I think you may need to do some more tuning with this motor. I'm glad you are bringing this up, as this will be an issue for all of us to deal with.

There is NO vacuum leak and I am 150% sure of that. I took the belt off the bower and the car idled beautifully. You are right about the beauty of the S/C being early boost. That is great but not when your software does not take that into consideration.

cdigerlando 11-03-2007 07:40 AM

I got to thinking last night, I don't think the cams will cause more boost. In fact they should reduce the boost since they will "consume" air faster. Hard to tell though. Wasn't the tune done on a 9 lb. pully? If this was the case, this might be the problem with your tune.

TomsSVX 11-03-2007 08:48 AM

i was going to say that but I figured you would realize what you were saying. I am buying a rom reader/writer/eraser in the near future and I have a flashable chip for it. Using that with my g-tech I will try my best to get a better tune on the ol girl

Tom

cdigerlando 11-07-2007 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 506050)
i was going to say that but I figured you would realize what you were saying. I am buying a rom reader/writer/eraser in the near future and I have a flashable chip for it. Using that with my g-tech I will try my best to get a better tune on the ol girl

Tom

How much does one of those cost?

TomsSVX 11-07-2007 02:38 PM

probably gonna cost close to $1k for the hardware:rolleyes: I may have a co-sponsor for it but I need to level out the order first

Tom

cdigerlando 11-07-2007 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 507114)
probably gonna cost close to $1k for the hardware:rolleyes: I may have a co-sponsor for it but I need to level out the order first

Tom

That's a good price.

cdigerlando 11-07-2007 03:21 PM

Got my heads back from the machine shop. They look nice with the pretty new valves. Got the block back, but had to return it to have some grooves cut in the semi decking to allow some better coolant flow, since the inserts extend into the water passages. There is some room between the gasket and the bottom, but I want more room for sufficient flow. Also he needs to cut rings on the last three of my pistons. Hopefully he will finish by the end of the week so I can start to slowly assemble everything. I also received the cometic head gaskets and other subaru motor parts. I'll take pics as I progress through the assembly.

svxfiles 03-01-2012 02:41 PM

Re: Engine Build Progress and Questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 477564)
we could have even called you Bill...http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...RU89/39418.JPG :p :p :p

Tom

THIS NEVER GETS OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

SVXRide 03-01-2012 03:22 PM

and you dig up a thread from 2007 to abuse me with? :rolleyes::D
Bill

svxfiles 03-01-2012 03:54 PM

I have been pouring over engine build threads all day long.

At least THIS^ part was fun!:p

SomethingElse 03-01-2012 04:20 PM

Ive been doing some research as well. Where the heck can I get parts from anymore?? I need pistons,cams,rods..possibly valves...AHHH!:eek:

Svx95 07-21-2016 01:42 PM

Reviving a thread from the dead! I need to get a hold of LAN. Building an EG33 for boost :cool:.

LAN if you see this I sent you an email on 7/21/16. I need to know if you still have some engine goodies on hand.

-Sam