The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Common things to go out on an eg33 (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48281)

jakea 12-25-2008 06:51 PM

Common things to go out on an eg33

Hey guys, Im doing an EG33 swap into my 00 RS coupe. Ive got two engines, 1 an obd2 engine with ecu and an obd1 parts motor(bad bearing). The obd2 will be running the car, but it has sat for a while.
what I'd like to know is the most common parts for failure besides internals. Comp is great, plugs look great, perfect oil when drained.
I'm scared that something might not fire up the first time!:o

I'm only 17, so be gentle:)

Jake

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...ureboat040.jpg

redlightningsvx 12-25-2008 07:34 PM

Re: Common things to go out on an eg33

Check timing belt,pullies,waterpump. etc

1986nate 12-25-2008 07:39 PM

These motors are extremely reliable. Usually good for plenty of miles. A few have put over 300,000 miles on their svx and many more with over 200,000. They're also widely popular for use in aircraft so that alone should tell you something.

As far as what can go wrong, only a few people have had head gaskets go but even when that happens, there usually isn't damage done if noticed and fixed right away. A few have also had spun bearings-currently my engine has a slight knock probably due to that yet still has good power. I believe someone elso on here has driven with a knocking motor for well over a year now.

Main thing is just to maintain it well.

-Nate

jakea 12-25-2008 07:49 PM

awesome thanks guys.
how about the coils? they seem to be my main concern for some reason.

Also, are these engines interference?

Wikedjuggalo 12-25-2008 07:50 PM

Meah just keep an eye out nothing major like head gaskets in old Acuras or anything like that mainly SVX fault were the transmissions

Mensaf 12-25-2008 11:06 PM

They're non-interference heads, which is probably why so much power is found from doing even the mildest of headwork. Coils don't seem to be an issue at all. Don't they have a writeup for this yet on RS25.com?

jakea 12-25-2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mensaf (Post 579009)
They're non-interference heads, which is probably why so much power is found from doing even the mildest of headwork. Coils don't seem to be an issue at all. Don't they have a writeup for this yet on RS25.com?

I'd have to say im one of the eg33 into and impreza pioneers, that is for the common folk...

Mensaf 12-25-2008 11:26 PM

I know of a few EG33 swapped Imprezas. I almost bought one guy's swapped GC sedan about a year or so ago. Red sedan, and I know he has a video up on youtube too. Pretty sure I saw him on RS25 at one point or another.

1986nate 12-26-2008 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mensaf (Post 579009)

Yes they are non interference motors.

A few people have had problems with coils but thats mainly been on motors with over 150k on them so nothin really to worry about-its pretty much a random happening.

YourConfused 12-26-2008 07:08 AM

The front diff's seem to be a bit fragile.

RSVX 12-26-2008 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourConfused (Post 579026)
The front diff's seem to be a bit fragile.

Um... since when is the front diff part of the eg33?:lol:

oab_au 12-26-2008 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSVX (Post 579045)
Um... since when is the front diff part of the eg33?:lol:

He is probably just Confused, Chris.:D

I would replace the Temp sensor, all the timing sensors, two crank, one cam sensor, PCV valve. These give the most common problems.

Harvey.

kwren 12-26-2008 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakea (Post 578962)
Hey guys, Im doing an EG33 swap into my 00 RS coupe. Ive got two engines, 1 an obd2 engine with ecu and an obd1 parts motor(bad bearing). The obd2 will be running the car, but it has sat for a while.
what I'd like to know is the most common parts for failure besides internals. Comp is great, plugs look great, perfect oil when drained.
I'm scared that something might not fire up the first time!:o

I'm only 17, so be gentle:)

Jake

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...ureboat040.jpg

Great choice of tools!!

Suby Fan 12-27-2008 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oab_au (Post 579090)
He is probably just Confused, Chris.:D

I would replace the Temp sensor, all the timing sensors, two crank, one cam sensor, PCV valve. These give the most common problems.

Harvey.

dont forget knock sensors! those are the most common failure point of these engines

kwren 12-27-2008 04:31 PM

Harvey.....I would replace the Temp sensor, all the timing sensors, two crank, one cam sensor, PCV valve. These give the most common problems.

Sube Fan... dont forget knock sensors! those are the most common failure point of these engines

Kwren...throw in some temperature sensors...

Must not leave out the "yourconfused" front diff thingy!

Those little items will probably get us up to a few thousand dollars?

Maybe just drive it if it runs:D

Keith:)