The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Midwest Region (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Working on the Suspension this Saturday (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19001)

SVXer95 06-01-2004 08:20 AM

Working on the Suspension this Saturday

Saw another thread where people are getting together to work on cars. Sounds like a good time, so I figured I would post one here.

I am putting in Mychailo's springs and new strut mounts this Saturday as well as trying to figure out why my brand new CV joint is making noise. Anyone want to stop by and help out, watch, or just shoot the S#!t? I will be working at my parents house in Warrenville, IL right in between Aurora and Naperville. If you want to have a little meet, let me know. My garage is only big enough for one car at a time, but it should be fun! Hopefully it will stop raining for once:D

I can also grab some brews and dogs and we can have a little BBQ.

Seraph 06-01-2004 08:24 PM

Give me time and place and I'll be there.

SVXer95 06-02-2004 06:29 AM

Hmm... Haven't thought of a set time yet. I will probably start tearing things down around 10:00 so anytime after that is cool.

I'll PM you the address if you want to do mapquest.

SVXer95 06-03-2004 09:20 AM

No other takers? Sounds more like a micro meet at this point. I guess Lwin and I will just have to have all the fun...

kayvon 06-03-2004 03:19 PM

provide me some info please:)

SVXer95 06-03-2004 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kayvon
provide me some info please:)
Sent a PM ;)

tadow 06-04-2004 07:48 AM

I might be able to make it, I will do my best to get there i'd also like for you guys to take a look at my svx and give suggestions.

SVXer95 06-04-2004 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by tadow
I might be able to make it, I will do my best to get there i'd also like for you guys to take a look at my svx and give suggestions.
PM'ed ya the address:)

Snickers 06-04-2004 10:23 PM

I wish I could make it, I have to work though.:(

Seraph 06-05-2004 07:22 AM

I'll try to make it. I do have work but I should be able to drop by for a few.

Seraph 06-05-2004 09:50 PM

10:49PM I just got back from work. Been out since 9AM

tadow 06-05-2004 10:22 PM

I went to Collin's earlier and stayed a few hours Kavyon was there too it's was cooling meeting a few people off here we'll have to get togeher agian soon

Snickers 06-06-2004 10:27 AM

Yes

SVXer95 06-07-2004 07:33 AM

It was definitely good to see some other SVX's and chat with the owners. All in all it was a good time and the installation went pretty smooth...For the most part.

All I can say about what happened after everyone left is DAMN. DAMN DAMN DAMN. It is times like these that I wish there was no filter on this site. I would use some other choice words if I could.

Basically everything went very well until I got to the last strut. I had some trouble getting the nut off in the first place, but it came with a little convincing. After that, got the new spring on and upper mount and reinstalled the nut. Here is where the trouble started. I thought the nut was on all the way because it wouldn't turn anymore. I put everything back in the car and took it for a ride. Whenever I went over a bumpthere was a very loud CLUNK. Luckily I hadn't put the interior back in at this point. I proceeded to pull the strut, which took some time because the new camber bolts I put it were hanging up on the strut housing. After I got that off I noticed the nut wasn't down as far as the other side. It wouldn't loosen or tighten!!!! After much, much trying, the allen wrench part of the strut rod finally stripped out.

I ordered a new strut last night. Now I jsut need to figure out how to salvage the strut mount. anyone know if a new strut comes with a new nut and washer? Or where I can find the right one?

Well, I guess now I have at least one core to do Konis with....

kayvon 06-07-2004 11:41 AM

It was nice also meeting some SVXers (Ted and Collin) this weekend. Collin hope next time you don't run into to much trouble tearing things apart. Keep us up to date when you get to install the Koni's.