The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   More tranny/differential questions... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52282)

AyeJaye 11-13-2009 09:52 PM

More tranny/differential questions...

So I know I keep jumping around with what could be wrong with my car, but this wonderful snowstorm we got today made me notice exactly what it's doing and I thought I'd see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I originally thought I wasn't getting any power to the rear wheels, which led me to think my solenoid C was bad. I have not had a chance to lift the car and see if the rears are spinning with the fronts (I live in an apartment with strict no-working-on-cars-in-the-parking-lot rules, and don't have any friends with useful facilities), but I did try to listen for the C solenoid working. When I turn my key, I don't hear anything buzzing or humming or anything like that. I do hear what I'm pretty sure is the fuel pump, but aside from that, nothing.

So back to the snowstorm. I've began to notice that when I give the car some gas the front tires will spin for a second or two, then I feel a thud and catch traction. It feels to me like once I feel the thud, I get power to the rear wheels.

So what do you think? Should I start thinking about a new transmission, or am I getting off a little easier with a differential or something completely different? Aside from this issue (and the cracked radiator that I addressed in a different thread) my car is solid, and I'd really like to get to the bottom of this one.

oab_au 11-13-2009 10:20 PM

Re: More tranny/differential questions...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AyeJaye (Post 624947)
So I know I keep jumping around with what could be wrong with my car, but this wonderful snowstorm we got today made me notice exactly what it's doing and I thought I'd see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I originally thought I wasn't getting any power to the rear wheels, which led me to think my solenoid C was bad. I have not had a chance to lift the car and see if the rears are spinning with the fronts (I live in an apartment with strict no-working-on-cars-in-the-parking-lot rules, and don't have any friends with useful facilities), but I did try to listen for the C solenoid working. When I turn my key, I don't hear anything buzzing or humming or anything like that. I do hear what I'm pretty sure is the fuel pump, but aside from that, nothing.

So back to the snowstorm. I've began to notice that when I give the car some gas the front tires will spin for a second or two, then I feel a thud and catch traction. It feels to me like once I feel the thud, I get power to the rear wheels.

So what do you think? Should I start thinking about a new transmission, or am I getting off a little easier with a differential or something completely different? Aside from this issue (and the cracked radiator that I addressed in a different thread) my car is solid, and I'd really like to get to the bottom of this one.

Once the C solenoid works, it takes time for the oil pressure to apply the clutch. This can be due to wear on the oil sealing rings that seal the pressure from the case to the mainshaft early models had that problem.

You may only to pull the rear section to fix it.

Harvey.