The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What further repairs can I expect (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3219)

GT 03-20-2002 07:33 PM

What further repairs can I expect

In the 2.5 years I have owned my SVX, I have replaced the transmission, steering rack, flex plate (flywheel), oxygen sensors, axle boots, and more on my 92 with 85k miles. Besides wheel bearings, what other things should I keep an eye out for, that are known problems?
Thanks,
GT

MNYPNNY 03-20-2002 08:35 PM

two words....

brake rotors

--- Michelle

Royal Tiger 03-20-2002 10:16 PM

Have you done the timing belt yet? Can be pricey depending where you go. You also have all the usual anycar stuff like water pumps, power steering, hoses, etc. 90k is a big service point like 30 and 60k so get her checked out.

Dan

DavieGravy 03-20-2002 10:20 PM

Brake pads, center exhaust resonator, vacume hoses, window switches, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Mr. Pockets 03-21-2002 07:46 AM

Don't let them scare you. The SVX has proven to be a very reliable car for some of us. Treat it well and it will treat you well. I, too, have owned my SVX for 2.5 years. In that time, I have replaced the following:

1 CV boot
1 ATF dipstick and tube
1 Power steering pump o-ring
2 rear rotors
1 set of brake pads
4 tires
...uh...I think that's it.

But it now needs:

FL axle
Front Brake rotors
Timing belt

As far as I'm concerned, that's extremely reliable service from a very complicated car that now has 128,000 miles on it.

GT 03-21-2002 04:26 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have had all the problems you mentioned except for the window switches, knock on wood. I have done all the maintenance items at 55k and again at 85k, including brake fluid, trans fluid, coolant, hoses, belts, PS o ring, etc. Have just replaced steering rack, steering box, egr valve, 1 cv boot, removed resonator and replaced exhaust near manifold, had a Level 10 complete transmission and valve body mod, rotors, brakes, tires, got spare rims for Blizzaks...

Just wondering what else could go. I have an aftermarket warranty that covers most of the repairs, but I have spent alot of money on this car over the past 2.5 years. I sure hope nothing else goes wrong, or if it does I hope it goes during the warranty. I think that just about everything has already been replaced and hope that I should be good for a long time. If things continue to go, I will be losing my patience when the warranty expires. But I hate to give it up after putting all this money into it.
GT

Seraph 03-22-2002 09:19 AM

If it is running, leave it alone. The more you try to look for problems, the more problems you will see and cars this old will have problems. It's just the fact of life.

lwin

svxter 03-22-2002 09:43 AM

The little plastic thingies that clip on the cable that raises and lowers the windows. Fortunately, that's not a terribly expensive repair.

Earthworm 03-22-2002 10:35 AM

scratch!

no one has mentioned changing/cleaning those lovely pads that like to leave scratches in our windows after getting a little dirty.

grrrrrrrr