The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Transmission and Drivetrain (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Nice 5-spd cradle (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25948)

svxhunter 05-03-2005 07:01 PM

Nice 5-spd cradle

2 Attachment(s)
Finally got a chance to take a few pics. This cradle uses ONLY original SVX mounting points. :D

Here's a few pics on the ground (with a tranny mount for the RS tranny in place)

svxhunter 05-03-2005 07:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And here's a few pics installed. BTW, the pipe bends look cool bending around the cats. ;) Just like Subie might have done!

svxsubaru1 05-03-2005 07:22 PM

Can you please make one for me, i am tired of the small car kit :mad:. Please. If so how much?

Chiketkd 05-03-2005 07:33 PM

Nice! Looks sturdy and strong.

-Chike

SVXtasy 05-03-2005 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxsubaru1
Can you please make one for me, i am tired of the small car kit :mad:. Please. If so how much?

What problems have you had with the small car kit? i have had a ton.

KCROGUEDOG 05-03-2005 08:26 PM

cradle looks great did you make from scratch or can it be ordered. or ordered and converted. good job hunter

Subafreak 05-03-2005 08:33 PM

Nice job, looks like I might have some compitition on the X-member fabbing market :D

I notice you didn't need to notch out the auto X-member to clear the back of the tranny. It dosn't hit at all?

svxhunter 05-03-2005 08:45 PM

It's made from a combination of stock SVX parts, 1 1/4" iron pipe, and 2" channel.

svxhunter 05-03-2005 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subafreak
Nice job, looks like I might have some compitition on the X-member fabbing market :D

I notice you didn't need to notch out the auto X-member to clear the back of the tranny. It dosn't hit at all?

I'm afraid I may have stolen some of your ideas. :eek:

Unfortunately, I don't have your welding talent. That took me a REALLY long time!

Nope, doesn't hit. I thought I had to remove the lowest bolt holding the linkage plate to the back of the tailpiece, but when it was all finished, that wasn't even necessary. It's close- probably around 1/4", but I can't make it hit with any amount of shaking or beating.

Thanks for your help!!

Subafreak 05-03-2005 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxhunter
I'm afraid I may have stolen some of your ideas. :eek:

Unfortunately, I don't have your welding talent. That took me a REALLY long time!

Nope, doesn't hit. I thought I had to remove the lowest bolt holding the linkage plate to the back of the tailpiece, but when it was all finished, that wasn't even necessary. It's close- probably around 1/4", but I can't make it hit with any amount of shaking or beating.

Thanks for your help!!

Thats OK, my ideas are for all to share :D I notch all mine just for good measure, plus I'm pretty sure some of the trannies I've used would not clear :confused:

svxsubaru1 05-04-2005 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subafreak
Thats OK, my ideas are for all to share :D I notch all mine just for good measure, plus I'm pretty sure some of the trannies I've used would not clear :confused:

So would you be willing to make a 5spd brace? Iam lost have you sold some before to other 5spders?

svxsubaru1 05-04-2005 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXtasy
What problems have you had with the small car kit? i have had a ton.

I have had the problems with the drive shaft, and i had alot of problems with exhaust clearnce. But in all honesty i just don't trust those small mounts to take the abuse i can dole out.

svxhunter 05-04-2005 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxsubaru1
So would you be willing to make a 5spd brace? Iam lost have you sold some before to other 5spders?

I'm pretty short on time right now. Subafreak may be able to help you.

Subafreak 05-04-2005 04:55 AM

I maybe even shorter on time, plus now that my jig car has no motor in it, it makes it really hard to use it as a jig. :rolleyes: Sorry guys, I know there are alot of people that need a good X-member but I just couldn't get the peices to build them and now the motor thing. About all I can do right now is make the peices and send them to you to have a welder put them together :o

svxhunter 05-04-2005 05:00 AM

Is your design basically the same as mine? I used the front suspension cross brace as the front member, which means the motor clearance was determined at the factory.