The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Component Driveshaft (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16953)

want-a-fast-svx 03-04-2004 04:53 PM

Component Driveshaft

Just was wondering how you tell the component driveshaft from the single pice driveshaft. thanks in advance for any and all help

mbtoloczko 03-04-2004 05:53 PM

The two different driveshafts that were used for the SVX are both 2-piece units. The earlier version uses a CV joint at the center, and the later ones use a u-joint at the middle. If by "component" you mean separatable halves, then that would be the later version with the u-joint at the center.

For driveshafts, another option to keep in mind is one that Huck discovered. It appears that the driveshaft from a '97 Legacy Outback 5MT the correct length for a 5MT in an SVX. All that needs to be done to fit it to the SVX is cut off the old middle mount and use the mount from the SVX driveshaft.

alex_umn 03-04-2004 10:07 PM

Here's a pic comparing the two as well...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...x_umn/1426.JPG

want-a-fast-svx 03-10-2004 12:10 PM

Can anyone verify that the 97 outback 5mt will work without modification other than switching the center support out? Any info is greatly appreciated.

mbtoloczko 03-10-2004 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by want-a-fast-svx
Can anyone verify that the 97 outback 5mt will work without modification other than switching the center support out? Any info is greatly appreciated.
I'll have the answer in a week or less.

want-a-fast-svx 03-11-2004 11:47 AM

Does anyone know what year/model of the svx came with the seperating driveshaft???Any leads to find one anywhere? Just thougth i'd ask. Thnaks in advance.

alex_umn 03-11-2004 12:00 PM

I feel like I keep posting about this web site but it has worked well for me in the past: http://www.car-part.com

Choose 1992, Subaru SVX, Rear Drive Shaft. In the listing of parts available you can see ones that have separate pieces; not sure when they went from one to two piece, though...

Hope this helps...

mbtoloczko 03-11-2004 12:10 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know what year/model of the svx came with the seperating driveshaft???Any leads to find one anywhere? Just thougth i'd ask. Thnaks in advance.
'94-'97

GreenMarine 03-11-2004 02:38 PM

Quote:

I am interested in this too as I have had driveshaft issues ever since my install...

strange179 03-14-2004 07:43 PM

a cuople pennies

I saw this and had to throw in a couple bits of info that might help here. First one is that the drive shafts that had u-joints in them were from the "L" or "LS" SVXs. The "LSL" and later, the "LSi" SVXs had the supposedly smoother, quieter CV type center joint in the shaft.
The second one is that even the CV type joint is seperable, it just takes more work to get it apart. I posted a rundown of what the drive shaft shop told me they did to mine in my 5-speed install thread.

Hope this helps and I too am interested in the outback driveshaft info.

Jay

want-a-fast-svx 04-01-2004 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mbtoloczko

I'll have the answer in a week or less.

Just curious if you heard anything yet?

want-a-fast-svx 04-01-2004 02:38 PM

Re: a cuople pennies

Quote:

Originally posted by strange179
I saw this and had to throw in a couple bits of info that might help here. First one is that the drive shafts that had u-joints in them were from the "L" or "LS" SVXs. The "LSL" and later, the "LSi" SVXs had the supposedly smoother, quieter CV type center joint in the shaft.
The second one is that even the CV type joint is seperable, it just takes more work to get it apart. I posted a rundown of what the drive shaft shop told me they did to mine in my 5-speed install thread.

Hope this helps and I too am interested in the outback driveshaft info.

Jay

I checked out your thread a few times but am unsure if they were actually able to seperate the cv and if they did did they just replace it with a new cap or did they use the old one? Also do you know if they had to cut it off? Because thats what the shop i took it too said they would have to do. Just curious thanks for the help so far. Its as always greatly appreciated.

wawazat?? 04-01-2004 04:24 PM

Quote:

I trial fitted it and thought it was too long. The DOJ was compressed to far for me to feel comfortable with using it in the long term. The carrier bearing mount also places the joint at too much of an angle for any hope of longevity.

I ultimately had a hybrid shaft made using the SVX carrier bearing and a mix of parts of the Legacy and SVX shafts to achieve the correct length, correct offset, correct carrier bearing, and not use the offset mount/adapter used in the Small Car kit. Cost for the above work was $160.

Todd

mbtoloczko 04-01-2004 04:44 PM

Quote:

Just curious if you heard anything yet?

Sorry, things have been taking a bit longer than anticipated. 5MT goes in the car tommorrow, so I'll have a detailed answer on the fit this weekend.

Todd, I hope the driveshaft I got (from a '97 Legacy Outback 5MT) is different than the one you tried.

UberRoo 04-03-2004 05:54 PM

Re: a cuople pennies

Quote:

Originally posted by strange179

My 94 LSi has a universal joint. Seperates nicely. Makes pulling the tranny so much easier.