The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   End of lease for SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65347)

Chris 08-20-2022 11:13 AM

End of lease for SVX World Network

The free trade deal agreement between Tonaquint Data Centers and the SVX World Network has come to a close. I/we have until the 5th of September to either sign a $500/month lease to keep the server gear here or move out. Needless to say, I don't have enough disposable income for this so I am juggling desperately to come up with a solution. There will likely be an outage in the near future, so watch for posts on the SVX World Network Facebook area if this site is down. What is not known is if this outage will be a couple hours, days, or weeks depending upon what path I have worked out.

Wish us all luck going forward to find a new home that is affordable. The site activity is low enough I ponder the worth. Sadly if I move the site into the cloud, the usage stats would not be bad, but to bring 20+ years of data makes the monthly fee much more.

Good day,

Blacky 08-20-2022 03:36 PM

Re: End of lease for SVX World Network

I guess my "Ghost Town" thread came at a perfect time coincidentally.

Chris 08-21-2022 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacky (Post 754161)

Well, at no effort or hassle to me, I could make that a reality. 21 years of investment has been a bit of a ride.

Trevor 08-22-2022 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacky (Post 754161)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 754168)
Well, at no effort or hassle to me, I could make that a reality. 21 years of investment has been a bit of a ride.

Special compliments Chris.

Thanks to you, I have enjoyed this place for a very long time. Although in awe in respect of your absolute dedication, I have never been able to fully appreciate exactly the extent of your commitment, particularly in respect of hardware and ongoing overheads. There will be many who are unaware of just how lucky they have been to have had the benefit of your special technical ability.

Given that I hesitate to request still more of your time, could you please provide a bare metal run down as to the nuts and bolts which make things tick. This may hopefully bring forth some otherwise concealed assistance.

Very sincerely,

SVX_MY_BABY 08-23-2022 07:58 AM

I sure hope there is a way to keep the site and it's accumulated knowledge alive.

I can honestly say that if it wasn't for this site and it's members I could never have kept my SVX for 30 years.

Chris 08-23-2022 07:06 PM

Groupbuilder has offered to take over the site, and move it to their hosting environment. In short:
Quote:

We would move it to our Digital Ocean server, convert to Xenforo, show ads to guests (all members can opt out), however no Admin, Moderator, rule, forum layout changes or any other changes. Essentially we will become hosts, make a small amount of ad money from guests and everything can continue as-is. Does this work for you?

Blacky 08-24-2022 03:23 AM

Excellent news. Thank you Chris.

TomsSVX 08-24-2022 04:58 AM

Chris will new members be able to sign up? Nfn most all site access is by guest anymore anyway. Thanks again for your persistence

Tom

Ron Mummert 08-24-2022 11:25 AM

Let's hang in there any ol' way we can. :cool: Ron.

Trevor 08-24-2022 08:41 PM

Chris,

From a moral and every point of view you hold the right to act as you desire. Furthermore, it is only you have the technical knowledge required in making a choice.. What you have suggested makes good sense and must have taken you a lot of time to investigate. Over to you, with special thanks and compliments..

wdb 08-25-2022 06:41 AM

I'm okay with a few ads. Heck, I use sites that hit me with ads even though I am paying a fee.

Chris 08-27-2022 02:08 AM

Server likely going offline later today, watch for activity on Facebook if this site is unreachable...

Trevor 08-27-2022 03:08 AM

I have no intention of reverting to face book on any account.

Blacky 08-27-2022 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 754185)
I have no intention of reverting to face book on any account.

I'm with you 100% on that Trevor!

Stevebsy 08-27-2022 02:43 PM

Big thanks to you @Chris for putting up with us and this forum for all this time

20some years was a hell of a run.

Take care