The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cam question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52867)

STeeL25T 01-18-2010 11:31 AM

Cam question

I haven't even considered doing a cam regrind for a while now cause frankly I don't have the extra 800 dollars laying around to do it. However today I was thinking about it and I believe I read (and I'm going from memory here) that the weak side was our exhaust cams, so I was wondering about getting just those two done. Think that would do anything noticeable? If so, recommend me a profile. From memory (again) I remember something like 8 mm of lift, 118 duration if your running a 3.90 manual like I will be?

Trevor 01-18-2010 08:10 PM

Re: Cam question

Quote:

Originally Posted by STeeL25T (Post 631164)
I haven't even considered doing a cam regrind for a while now cause frankly I don't have the extra 800 dollars laying around to do it.

If so why start a special thread on the subject? :confused:

Quote:

However today I was thinking about it and I believe I read (and I'm going from memory here) that the weak side was our exhaust cams, so I was wondering about getting just those two done. Think that would do anything noticeable? If so, recommend me a profile. From memory (again) I remember something like 8 mm of lift, 118 duration if your running a 3.90 manual like I will be?
You are calling on others (with out a "please"), to relieve you of a little effort searching. The subject has been fully covered in several threads and it is clear that you are very aware of this fact.

I make no excuses for my terse response. The technical section is becoming a dogs breakfast.:(

Crazy_pilot 01-18-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STeeL25T (Post 631164)
I haven't even considered doing a cam regrind for a while now cause frankly I don't have the extra 800 dollars laying around to do it. However today I was thinking about it and I believe I read (and I'm going from memory here) that the weak side was our exhaust cams, so I was wondering about getting just those two done. Think that would do anything noticeable? If so, recommend me a profile. From memory (again) I remember something like 8 mm of lift, 118 duration if your running a 3.90 manual like I will be?

There are a number of profiles that have been tried with success. Chike describes one he used in this thread. ECUTune also sells a few profiles designed to work with different engine setups. I know Delta and Web cams have also been used, but I don't know the details or if they were a custom grind.

STeeL25T 01-19-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 631203)
If so why start a special thread on the subject? :confused:

You are calling on others (with out a "please"), to relieve you of a little effort searching. The subject has been fully covered in several threads and it is clear that you are very aware of this fact.

I make no excuses for my terse response. The technical section is becoming a dogs breakfast.:(

Glad to see your kindness is not limited to just the over heating thread.

In other news I believe I was confused, from the thread you posted they're talking about doing the intake cams alone. I suppose I was thinking about rallybob matching the exhaust ports with the intake ports, not the cams.