The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Loose strut nut (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57134)

blue thunder 04-26-2011 01:01 PM

Loose strut nut

I have had a rattle coming from the rear drivers side and just checked the nut that comes into the interior where the speakers are. Sure enough the left rear nut (17mm) was loose. The right side was tight. I turned it but it did not tighten. Just spinning the whole thing. I assume I have to hold something under the car to get it to tighten. Anybody had to do this? When I first had my Koni and lowering springs put on I had to take it back and they tightened it but not sure how exactly how he did it. That was years ago. I was ready to order new rear upper mounts. Maybe I don't have to. I want to get this tight and check the noise again. Any advice on this appreciated. Thanks.

Mike:)

svxfiles 04-26-2011 03:46 PM

Re: Loose strut nut

On both stock struts, and Koni's you have to hold the strut piston shaft from turning with an allen wrench.

michael 04-26-2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 674897)
On both stock struts, and Koni's you have to hold the strut piston shaft from turning with an allen wrench.

I had a handle welded to a socket so I could get an allen wrench through he center. I guess a vice grip would work for a handle in a pinch but after removing the rear shelf, I wanted assurance I wouldn't have to do it again.

Hocrest 04-26-2011 07:06 PM

For $20 this makes it easier;
http://www.harborfreight.com/21-piec...set-67974.html

Plus it's handy is other places also, and it's not too hard to find a 20% coupon for HF.

michael 04-26-2011 07:14 PM

Got one from sears for $40 :(

Huskymaniac 04-26-2011 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 674914)
For $20 this makes it easier;
http://www.harborfreight.com/21-piec...set-67974.html

Plus it's handy is other places also, and it's not too hard to find a 20% coupon for HF.

I am confused by this tool. How does the wrench hold the socket?

Hocrest 04-26-2011 07:42 PM

The sockets have wrench flats on them, much like a spark plug socket. The ratchet is a ratcheting wrench of that size.

Hocrest 04-26-2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael (Post 674917)
Got one from sears for $40 :(

Did you get the "Gear Wrench" brand? Ben has those, I think they are nicer than the HF ones.

Huskymaniac 04-26-2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 674920)
The sockets have wrench flats on them, much like a spark plug socket. The ratchet is a ratcheting wrench of that size.

My eyes must be going but I don't see flats on the outside. All I see is one of those spring loaded ball bearings.

Hocrest 04-26-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 674922)
My eyes must be going but I don't see flats on the outside. All I see is one of those spring loaded ball bearings.

I went back and looked at the pic, yeah it's not real clear, but the flats are on the bottom in that picture.

michael 04-26-2011 09:52 PM

Yes. I need to find more occasions to use them. I' waiting for my everyday set to poop out.

blue thunder 04-28-2011 08:04 AM

Thanks for all the reply's on this. I tried to tighten it using vise grips on the socket and an allen wrench holding the stem in place but the nut would not move. I had a very tight hold of the socket but it would not budge. Maybe the threads/nut need to be loosened with something. Maybe a shop would have better tools to do this. I'll call and see. Thanks again.

svxfiles 04-28-2011 08:57 AM

Blue Thunder, do you have stock struts, or Koni's?

blue thunder 05-01-2011 03:08 PM

Yes sorry for the delay. I have Koni struts all around. I took my car yesterday to a shop so they could get it on a lift and check the rear struts. They definitely said that the left rear upper mount and the rubber piece below it are shot. He moved the wheel up and down. I guess I am resigned to get new upper mounts. I have another question. I went to 1stsubaruparts.com and can get each one for 71.00. They have an illustration they're and the picture shows the upper mount and below it the upper back. Is this the rubber piece I need? Do I need to order it separately? Also I read on another post that this rubber piece may have sat on a shelf for a long time and it may not be in good shape. Is OEM the best way to go for replacement? Any feedback on this appreciated. Thanks.

kwren 05-01-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 674922)

Simply hold the Ctrl key on your keyboard down and at the same time push the plus (+) key "over and over" till you get the graphic large enough to easily see the way the sockets are made. The top ones are the more obvious.

Keith:cool: