The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   oil leak but I can't find the source (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42641)

rayford 01-05-2008 11:48 AM

oil leak but I can't find the source

First off, I have changed all the seals in the front of the engine a little over a year ago and also the cam cover gaskets including the washers. Well now my car is leaking oil from the front right corner of the engine, it is coming from behind the plastic shield, not the front most one but the one that is attached to the engine, and since the clearance is so limited there without removing several things it is hard to tell just what is leaking.. What I am wondering is,, do you think it is the cam seal leaking even though it has been replaced or is there something else behind there that would be leaking,, I also removed the cam cover again on that side to make sure the gasket didn't slip when I was installing it earlier.. I tried to look at diagrams and the only seals I can find are the ones on the camshaft , I don't think it is coming from above where the plug thing is on the end but not totally sure.. Anyway. any help will be appreciated as it is too cold outside to do a lot of hit or miss investigating. Thanks. Vernon.

svxfiles 01-05-2008 12:40 PM

Are you sure that the leak is engine oil?
The power steering pump and lines have three common places to leak in that neighborhood.

ensteele 01-05-2008 12:44 PM

The power steering is transmission fluid, and you should be able to tell the difference. That way you can determine if it is the steering or the engine. :)

rayford 01-05-2008 12:53 PM

I am fairly sure it is engine oil, I have to add oil more often that should be and very seldom have to add P.S. fluid, but I did go out and double check though,, thanks for responding,

rayford 01-30-2008 04:30 PM

I still haven't found exactly where the oil is leaking but it is getting rid quit a bit and I do need to figure it out.. it is coming from behind the inner most plastic guard on the passenger side, is it likely that the cam shaft plugs might be leaking that much or in that area? I did change the cam seal but I guess it could be leaking , the last time it leaked it was inside the timing belt cover,, I am kind of stumped on this at least till it warms up so I can get under there and start taking things off, if anyone has any new ideas. please reply.
Thanks. Vernon

Hocrest 01-30-2008 04:35 PM

Yeah, it could be that plug. The good news is, you don't need to pull the timing belt to replace those plugs.

VICSVX 01-30-2008 04:40 PM

hmm, i hav a mysterious leak too....idk where exacltly but it seems to be on top of the motor under the intake....i wiped everything down so i could get a hint from where it is coming from, but no luck....it leaks like a sis!! i have a puddle of oil on my driveway!!

anyone have any ideas?

svxistentialist 01-30-2008 04:41 PM

I don't have any new ideas Vernon, but if you have discounted the power steering possibility, then you are left with no option but to accept it must be one of your seals gone again.

You will have no option but to strip it back till you see which is gone.

On a tangent to the subject, there have been a couple of threads lately discussing how quickly full synthetic oil [like Mobil 1] finds bad or dodgy seals and creates leaks. If it is the case that you are using full synthetic oil and you have another leaky seal, then maybe you should take this on board, and start using good mineral oil instead after you fix the leak?

It's just a suggestion, and will have no relevance if you are not using fully synthetic.

Joe:)

svxistentialist 01-30-2008 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VICSVX (Post 524521)
hmm, i hav a mysterious leak too....idk where exacltly but it seems to be on top of the motor under the intake....i wiped everything down so i could get a hint from where it is coming from, but no luck....it leaks like a sis!! i have a puddle of oil on my driveway!!

anyone have any ideas?

Check what grade of oil is in your power steering. That often leaks onto the top of the engine.

It is supposed to be pink transmission oil, and if it is pink you will know that's where your leak is from.

Sometimes dealers use power steering fluid by mistake. This is brown and could be mistaken for engine oil if it's leaking.

Joe

VICSVX 01-30-2008 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 524525)
Check what grade of oil is in your power steering. That often leaks onto the top of the engine.

It is supposed to be pink transmission oil, and if it is pink you will know that's where your leak is from.

Sometimes dealers use power steering fluid by mistake. This is brown and could be mistaken for engine oil if it's leaking.

Joe

its tranny oil in my P.S...drexon III if i remember right. i hav to keep tabs on engine oil befor it gets to low and the puddle in my driveway is brown

Hocrest 01-30-2008 04:57 PM

Pull off the intake tube and look if there's oil pooling in there. If so, you need to replace your PCV.

rayford 01-30-2008 04:58 PM

In my case I am very sure it is engine oil because I have to add it often and if it is either a cam seal or a plug I don't mind working on that again, actually the more I work on this car the easier it gets for one thing I never put back as many bolts as I remove because the ones in the plastic guard always either twists out or breaks an ear off the shields. and thanks for the help with this problem, I will order a new seal and plug and hope that is what is the problem.