The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Does Anyone Know What This Is??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33825)

hellos245 06-22-2006 08:05 PM

Does Anyone Know What This Is???

I found this on ebay...its cute little car..it says Honda Prelude but I dont think it is. Does anyone know what this is...if so can you prove it? Thanks.
~Danielle :confused:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

immortal_suby 06-22-2006 08:07 PM

toyota mr2

hellos245 06-22-2006 08:08 PM

Thanks.

Its really been bugging me.:eek: Thanks so much!:) :p :D

hellos245 06-22-2006 08:22 PM

Info.

Are they any good? Any information on them at all? Thanks.

immortal_suby 06-22-2006 08:30 PM

pm mrpockets - he has one that he races and drives daily. He seems to like it.

Ricochet 06-23-2006 01:47 AM

My ex-roommate just sold his, he had a black supercharged one with some upgrades. Those 2200lb, mid-engine/rwd pocket rockets are a blast to drive and finding one in good shape is very rare.

Mr. Pockets 06-23-2006 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby
pm mrpockets - he has one that he races and drives daily. He seems to like it.

I do like it a lot. The Mk1 MR2 is a fun little car. But they're around 20 years old now, and the above comment that they're difficult to find in good shape is dead-on.

I paid $1400 for mine. I knew the engine was burning oil and planned on doing a rebuild, which I was right about. Still, I'd rather buy one like mine, with a good body, than a rusty one with a good engine.

The car is fun in town, but a total pain in the ass on the freeway. It's cramped, loud, cramped, harsh, cramped, hot, cramped, twitchy and cramped.

A Mk1 on r-comps is a silly thing. It out-handles its meager power by such a huge margin. :)

Ricochet 06-23-2006 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
A Mk1 on r-comps is a silly thing. It out-handles its meager power by such a huge margin. :)

Nothing a smaller supercharger pulley doesn't fix :)
Oh and I check those pictures again, I spy a Pacesetter exhaust. That's what was on my buddy's black one and it sounded like 100 bees bouncing around a coffee can at any rpm. Bring ear plugs if you buy that car.

Mr. Pockets 06-23-2006 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet
Nothing a smaller supercharger pulley doesn't fix :)

Not really sure where I'd put that pulley in my NA. Maybe I could set it on the passenger seat next to me. :)

hellos245 06-23-2006 10:23 AM

Ok...

I am a small person...Im about 130 pounds...5 ft. 3. Im not going to get that exact MR2...just curious what u all think.
Its either an MR2 or a Honda prelude.

Mr. Pockets 06-23-2006 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellos245
I am a small person...Im about 130 pounds...5 ft. 3. Im not going to get that exact MR2...just curious what u all think.
Its either an MR2 or a Honda prelude.

Not having any experience with the Prelude, I'd probably still recommend it. You live in PA, where it snows, and the Prelude will be less...entertaining in the winter. The Prelude will also have more cargo space. I think it'd be a much more useful car for a college student.

greggbzz 06-23-2006 11:01 AM

Older Preludes are nice. I drove two of them for a combined 7 years.
NO tourque. If you put a bag a grocheries on the passenger seat, you'll stuggle up the hills. Get a 5-speed if you can.

Still a blast to drive, get's good gas millage and reliable.

Make sure you know about the timing belt. They should be changed every 70,000 miles. All hondas have an "interference" engine, which means if the timing belt snaps, the pistons smash into the intake valves. And the body, check closely under the fenders, below the door sills, for rust and frame rot.
Check the trunk drains (inside in the corner by the tail lights.) These cars will run past 300K miles but don't expect the body to not disitengrate.
Also, make sure the back struts are good. I was never able to get mine off because the clamping bolt became perminately married to the strut mount.

shelfy 06-23-2006 11:03 AM

from what i hear about the ist generation mister 2s is that they are hateful little cars. :D

hellos245 06-23-2006 11:06 AM

Thanks.

Im not worried about the power. Just a decent car. I do need it to be really good in the snow. I need an automatic. I cant drive stick--also with the city..its not fun. So...I guess my question is: Preludes....good in the snow? There are a TON of hills in Pittsburgh--matter of fact we kinda live on one.

Ricochet 06-23-2006 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellos245
I cant drive stick

1.)Take right hand
2.)Place in crotch
3.)Feel for testicles