The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I've got some weird Front end noise (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22915)

HighwayUFO 11-27-2004 08:34 PM

I've got some weird Front end noise

Was driving downtown last night and took a left turn when all the sudden the car started vibrating and making a rapid clicking noise then a POP then the rapid clicking noise again. It does it turning right and left.

I'm pretty sure its not my CV axles because i recently had them replaced. Does anyone else know what it could be? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Chiketkd 11-27-2004 08:41 PM

If it shakes when you turn both left or right, my guess is that it could be your ball joints gone bad...

-Chike

n00b on demand 11-28-2004 06:46 PM

my front wheels shake when im driving at high speeds....not shake out of control but u can veel vibrations...somedays are worse than others. I know i have a bent rim....but could it be my ball joints? :( ...I dont get any clicking or popping when i turn. I had my right front axle replaced in may. Could bad bushings be the cause of this as well?

n00b on demand 11-28-2004 06:51 PM

No shaking when turning either....one thing though....when i brake at a very high speed...lets say 65 or above the brake pedal will pulsate a tiny bit but the steering wheel will shake a little bit. I was told i have grooves in my rotors. I was told that back in october. Funny how i never felt anything wrong with my brakes untill i took it into that damn shop and felt the vibration and pulsation afterwards :mad: .

Earthworm 12-06-2004 01:18 PM

Could it possibly be the front diff?

n00b on demand 12-06-2004 01:54 PM

Talking to the slayer or me?

dcarrb 12-06-2004 02:41 PM

So soon after half-shaft replacement, I'd be concerned the shop didn't get something right in the reassembly. That, or one of the CV joints was junk and is already failing.

It's been decades since I've had to replace a ball joint, but they usually wear very gradually and cause slowly-worsening front end play. Not the sort of thing to be noisy (unless it fails... now, that would be sudden and noisy). Jack-up a front wheel, grab the tire at the top and push-pull to see if there's any give.

dcb

SVXer95 12-06-2004 03:25 PM

Could be a front bearing.

I had a front bearing failure. Thought it was cv's, but still had a problem after replacement. Finally, when it got so bad that the wheel almost fell off, I could tell it was bearings. Really didn't seem like bearings at all.

Swapped knuckle/spindle assemblies with a used one and fixed it for under $100.

Earthworm 12-08-2004 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by soobiesvx93
Talking to the slayer or me?
That was directed toward C.S.