The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   I haven't seen a thread about it yet... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16960)

petesvx2 03-04-2004 09:36 PM

I haven't seen a thread about it yet...

The Passion of Christ. The Mel Gibson movie. I saw it tonight, and well, I'm not a real religious person, but the movie is extremely powerful. Not being religious left me with little knowledge as to what was going on, certain scenes and people in the film, but I was definitely grabbed by the mother/son relationship. That stood out to me the most. As far as blood and gore, I heard it was like extremely gory and disgusting. This is untrue. I mean you can't expect what happened to him to be all clean and fine. If you haven't seen it yet I suggest you check it out. Very good film.

mranderson 03-04-2004 10:00 PM

It is extremly powerful. Being religious i am glad to hear that others are also effected by it.

It is truly a masterpiece.

JLittell 03-04-2004 10:00 PM

It's good one! Very moving!

Some tend to forget that HE was of blood and flesh too!

Chicane 03-04-2004 10:53 PM

Although christianity is way to hypocritical for me, I think Jesus was a real person, and really existed. The son of god? Uh... no. But a very important person in history at least. I've never seen a jesus movie, so I'm actually pretty interested.

- Rob

Landshark 03-04-2004 11:14 PM

i heard its 2 hours of Jesus getting an ass-whoopin'. i'd still like to see it. isn't it all in subtitles?

petesvx2 03-04-2004 11:36 PM

It goes from when he is captured I guess you'd say, to when he's crucified. Basically I think its the last night/day of his life. Judging by what they show I'm guessing the Romans weren't too kind to their prisoners.

Yes, the whole movie is in subtitles. The dialogue is all in latin and the other language spoken at the time that I can't think of right now.

I say definitely check it out. I'm by no means religious at all and it still affected me greatly. There's more going on than the main theme, the underlying plots are what grabbed my attention.

And Mel Gibson is by far one of the most ballsy people in hollywood. Not only does he not care what other people think of him, he went out on a limb, invested 30 million into a movie that alot of people will look down upon, and came out with one of the finest displays of film I have ever seen.

manofmayo 03-05-2004 12:12 AM

I don't really pay attention to all the Christian mumbo-jumbo, but I did see the movie. Cimentography was very good. It was a good drama that was a little overly violent for me.

Its one of the movies that you should see once....just in case someone brings it up at a dinner party.

Now just think of the cash Mel Gibson is making on this movie.

ensteele 03-05-2004 12:23 AM

Mel may be making cash from the film, but that is not why he made it.

Seraph 03-05-2004 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by petesvx2
It goes from when he is captured I guess you'd say, to when he's crucified. Basically I think its the last night/day of his life. Judging by what they show I'm guessing the Romans weren't too kind to their prisoners.

Actually, no Romans were not too kind to people at the time. Give them a few year and I think 2 more changes in the rulers to switch to Christians.

I have not seen it yet but from what I have seen (bits and pieces) it seems pretty decent. I am not sure how historical it is though. It all depends on how they did the cross scene and what they gave a person after that.

Aredubjay 03-05-2004 08:38 AM

I saw the movie this past Sunday. I am not a "religious" person (I differentiate between "religious" and "spiritual"). I am not a church goer. I AM a Christian. I found the movie to be #1) A cinemagraphic work of art. #2) An accurate depiction of the four gospels as I've studied them (yes, with some creative license in the periphery, but still accurate), and #3) An excellent vehicle for making Christ real to Christians and Non-Christians alike.

It is abhorrently violent, but the process itself is abhorrently violent. The thing is, the violence may have even stopped short of an actual depiction of the true violence exacted.

Anti semitic? I didn't see it. I, of course held more contempt for the Romans. Does that make it an "anti-Roman" movie. I don't think so. The fact that these were the people of THAT day does not reflect upon the people of THIS day, any more than the movies of the Holocaust reflect upon the Germans of today. The historical fact is that the Jews and the Romans were co-habitants of Jerusalem at the time and therefore responsible for the events in their jurisdiction. However, NOBODY was "responsible" for Christ's death. He WILLINGLY gave up his life. He didn't have to die if he didn't want to, so, those who say that "anyone" is to blame are not in tune with the WHOLE story.

As a Christian, the most significant "take away" I got from the movie was the shame I felt that I had, basically, relegated (unconsciously) Christ to a character in a Bible story, and though having a personal relationship, did not fully appreciate Him. The movie reminded me of His "realness."

Mr. Pockets 03-05-2004 09:15 AM

I've certainly read enough about the film to understand that it only works if you know the background, because it only covers the last 12 hours of Jesus's life. I'm glad people enjoy it, but if it's not a complete story and you have to read supporting material to 'get' it, to me it just doesn't work as a film. I don't think I'd understand much of what was going on.

mranderson 03-05-2004 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

As a Christian, the most significant "take away" I got from the movie was the shame I felt that I had, basically, relegated (unconsciously) Christ to a character in a Bible story, and though having a personal relationship, did not fully appreciate Him. The movie reminded me of His "realness."

same here. Its really humbling for sure.

GreenMarine 03-05-2004 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mranderson
It is extremly powerful. Being religious i am glad to hear that others are also effected by it.

It is truly a masterpiece.

Everyrthing with Mel Gibson in it is a Master peice... I liked Brave Heart alot... Then there was a few more... But he's a really good actor... That's it.. :D:D:D:cool:

mranderson 03-05-2004 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX

Everyrthing with Mel Gibson in it is a Master peice... I liked Brave Heart alot... Then there was a few more... But he's a really good actor... That's it.. :D:D:D:cool:

The only part of the passion he is in is the hands that hammer the nails into Jesus. He wanted to represent that he held himself resposible for Jeusus's death.

Aredubjay 03-05-2004 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
Everyrthing with Mel Gibson in it is a Master peice...

He told one inteviewer (jokingly) that the "Passion" was atonement for the Lethal Weapon movies. :D

The "historical" movies he's made have been excellent (Brave HEart, The Patriot). The Lethal Weapon movies were "fun" and, of course, without them, Mel would not have been able to afford this movie.

Conspiracy Theory was a neat movie. It was good to see Mel "stretch his acting legs" in that one.

We won't talk about "Mad Max" :) Road Warrior was kinda cool in a "cultish" sort of way, and "Beyond Thunderdome . . . well . . . I'll keep my opinion there.