The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Driveable? Tow? Tranny? P/S? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42708)

BenSVX 01-09-2008 09:04 PM

Driveable? Tow? Tranny? P/S?

Hi all,

Just got in late from a movie when the car started smoking right in my parking lot and dumping clear fluid out from the front. Instead of going into the underground lot, I parked it outside in case I need a tow. I *think* it is Dex 3 either coming from a transmission line or P/S - couldn't get the flashlight working well enough to figure out where the leak was coming from. The liquid was clear, not red or green, and had a minor burnt smell. I didn't notice loss in steering for the 10 seconds I drove it to park, and although it was smoking madly, it did not affect the temp gauge - meaning its hopefully not the rad...

Anyways - question for the light of day tomorrow - where should I look for a tranny line leak - I have no jack, etc. If I can't locate it, is it driveable if I add a quart of ATF, or should I just take the towing hit?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

Crazy_pilot 01-09-2008 09:29 PM

The fluid was clear? That's confusing. Tranny fluid is (or should be) red. Power steering fluid in out cars is actually trans fluid, so also red. Coolant should be green. Brake fluid should be clear.

Check your power steering resevoir. Someone may have filled it with regular power steering fluid instead of ATF.

If clear fluid IS coming out of your trans, I would be very worried.

redlightningsvx 01-09-2008 09:30 PM

what about the front diff. leaking?

94SubieSVX 01-09-2008 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlightningsvx (Post 520310)
what about the front diff. leaking?

That's what I was thinking. I went through this last week. It sounds like differential fluid to me.

Crazy_pilot 01-09-2008 09:35 PM

Ah yes, forgot we have on of those:rolleyes:

redlightningsvx 01-09-2008 09:38 PM

the front diff. fluid is clear and seems like you have blown it up

94SubieSVX 01-09-2008 09:40 PM

If you get it up on stands and see this....

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/...blown_diff.jpg

You're in trouble like I am.:o

YourConfused 01-09-2008 10:51 PM

"for the 10 seconds I drove it to park"
So in the 10 sec of parking lot driving the front diff spewed gear oil onto the cats and caused smoke as well as the clear liquid he is seeing? Or did the car drive home and then these things were noticed?
Clear and burnt smell... Must be brake fluid or diff oil hitting exhaust to make these things line up.

BenSVX 01-10-2008 07:19 AM

It only started leaking and smoking right when I got into the parking lot for some reason. There was a good amount of spillage, could it still be front diff fluid? I assume its not driveable and will have to tow if this is the case? Anyway I can tell if it is front diff without putting it up? The leak seems to be more prevalent on the passenger side.

Thanks,
Ben

Hocrest 01-10-2008 07:34 AM

Check all of your fluids. If it lost that much, one of them will be low.

Has the car been making any noises or acting strange in any way??

BenSVX 01-10-2008 07:39 AM

Going to check the levels right now. Will let you know. Thanks for the responses thus far.

If it is a cracked/blown front diff, is it driveable? Or unadvisable?

Will report back.

Ben

Hocrest 01-10-2008 07:48 AM

If it is a cracked front diff case, driving without gear oil will kill the front diff gears. But, the front diff is going to need to be replaced anyway...

BenSVX 01-10-2008 08:35 AM

Okay.

Soooo I checked everything and the coolant reservoir was dry and the oil is low. I found out the upper rad hose has a leak, burned through no doubt. I guess the p/o (I've had it for only 3 weeks) "forgot" to add antifreeze to the water he must have put in the radiator, hence the clear, but somewhat oily liquid.

Another question - might be a stupid one - The car started fine, I added water to the coolant reservoir (need to pick up antifreeze and oil somehow today) and it was almost as if the rad was not working - the fan was not going and it didn't seem to be picking the water out of the reservoir. I squeezed the hose just to verify an it was still dry. Could this be a larger problem than a mere puncture in the rad hose?

Thanks
Ben

Hocrest 01-10-2008 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 520369)
If it is a cracked front diff case, driving without gear oil will kill the front diff gears. But, the front diff is going to need to be replaced anyway...

But of course, if the front diff siezes while you're doing 40 down the road, the results could be interesting to watch... :eek:

Hocrest 01-10-2008 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenSVX (Post 520373)
Okay.

Soooo I checked everything and the coolant reservoir was dry and the oil is low. I found out the upper rad hose has a leak, burned through no doubt. I guess the p/o (I've had it for only 3 weeks) "forgot" to add antifreeze to the water he must have put in the radiator, hence the clear, but somewhat oily liquid.

Another question - might be a stupid one - The car started fine, I added water to the coolant reservoir (need to pick up antifreeze and oil somehow today) and it was almost as if the rad was not working - the fan was not going and it didn't seem to be picking the water out of the reservoir. I squeezed the hose just to verify an it was still dry. Could this be a larger problem than a mere puncture in the rad hose?

Thanks
Ben

When you add coolant/water to the radiator, it won't go into the engine until the thermostat at the bottom of the engine opens.

When the car is that low, your better off removing the top rad hose from the radiator and dumping coolant into the engine through there till full, then reattach and top off the radiator.

If the coolant was that oily, I'd watch it very closely for other signs of a bad head gasket.