The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   No CEL or spark (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41917)

TomsSVX 11-17-2007 07:18 PM

No CEL or spark

Hey guys and gals. working on a customer's car and after the 5mt swap amongst other things, the car will not start now. I get no CEL when I turn the key to the on position and it will crank all day but no spark... I have checked mostly everything I can think of but it us just odd. If you can think of anything please make suggestions

Tom

Trevor 11-18-2007 03:03 AM

Tom,

On checking the wiring diagram with the transmission change in mind. ----There is a black ground wire which runs from a ground point in the original transmission, to the inhibitor switch which normally grounds two circuits from the ECU. Could you have overlooked this connection?

My only suggestion at this stage, Trevor. ;)

Dessertrunner 11-18-2007 03:19 AM

Has the car got a bugular alarm some times they cause problems?

immortal_suby 11-18-2007 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 509446)
Tom,

On checking the wiring diagram with the transmission change in mind. ----There is a black ground wire which runs from a ground point in the original transmission, to the inhibitor switch which normally grounds two circuits from the ECU. Could you have overlooked this connection?

My only suggestion at this stage, Trevor. ;)

I left that exact wire loose when I changed out my tranny years ago! After 5 minutes of kicking myself for breaking the car, I found it and she fired right up.

TomsSVX 11-18-2007 07:26 AM

I have never had this issue before, mind leading me in the directions of this?:confused:

Tom

crazyhorse 11-18-2007 11:36 AM

If you didn't miss that ground that Trevor mentioned, i'd definately see if there's a security system installed. Burgalar Alarm, I haven't heard that in awhile :)

If there is an alarm, some of those have an ignition interrupt.

Random thoughts from a random mind.

Dessertrunner 11-18-2007 12:01 PM

Most burgalar alarms have one of two modes of operation, cut the power to the starter so you can't get the starter to turn over and the second is to cut the power to the igination. The first thing to check Tom is if the alarm has a switch on the key ring. If the car has central locking doors and it didn't come standard then I bet its the problem. My 1992 had that type of system and it also us to flatten the car battery.

Hondasucks 11-18-2007 12:23 PM

That sounds to me like the ECU isn't getting power, check your fuses with a test light.

TomsSVX 11-18-2007 01:50 PM

I am checking all the power inputs to the ECU and the available grounds. Anyone that can use a test light, check to see if plug B60 pin 12 is a ground or a 12v+ right now I am not sure and I need to keep checking the wire schematics and pin voltage charts

Tom

TomsSVX 11-18-2007 01:53 PM

i am printing out the other page of the pin-outs and I am thinking maybe the ignition switch isn't sending power to the ECU... Gotta head over to the shop to check... if anyone comes up with something I may be missing please call me at (609) 276 7279

Tom

Hocrest 11-18-2007 03:59 PM

I've been on and off the phone with Tom for the past few hours. He found part of the problem, the "Check Engine" bulb has been removed by someone :mad:

He has a bulb in, and now it lights when he starts it like it should, but it doesn't come on after and when he checks codes, it just gives the constant blinking "no codes".

So, now at least he is past the ECU part of the equation, he has also spoken with the tech that installed the alarm and has ruled that out.

It's still cranking, not starting because there is no spark, and not showing any codes...

What else??? He forgot to take his laptop, his numbers up there^^^^

immortal_suby 11-18-2007 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 509461)
I have never had this issue before, mind leading me in the directions of this?:confused:

Tom

It's a single black wire - one end connects to a bolt on the firewall directly below the dogbone. Halfway up the wire is a plastic connector that just butt connects it together. The other half of the wire bolts to the tranny at the dogbone. I know it sounds odd for one ground wire to be the culprit, but it stopped mine from firing up when I changed my tranny out.

TomsSVX 11-18-2007 06:26 PM

Ok, after getting rid of the jerry-rigged alarm system, I finally have spark again. I also have fuel.... but still no start:confused: My buddy stopped in (he is a mech) and asked if I check compression. I checked the #1 cyl. and I got 0. So i gotta tear down the motor again, pull the cams, pull the lifters and manually compress them and reinstall... I guess all that time the motor spent with no cams in it the lifters pummped up to full and the valves are not closing:rolleyes: At least I have spark again... I knew that alarm wiring looked re:tard:ed from the start

Tom

SVXRide 11-18-2007 06:50 PM

the alarm wiring sounds consistent for the car you're working on:rolleyes::p
-Bill

porschekiller 11-18-2007 06:52 PM

thanks everyone

i just want to personally thank everyone helping tom on my car. tom has been the most helpful mechanic i've ever met to begin with.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 509385)
Hey guys and gals. working on a customer's car and after the 5mt swap amongst other things, the car will not start now. I get no CEL when I turn the key to the on position and it will crank all day but no spark... I have checked mostly everything I can think of but it us just odd. If you can think of anything please make suggestions

Tom