The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Steering Trouble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41395)

bricud 10-18-2007 09:00 AM

Steering Trouble

I have a 1994 SVX with 134K and recently the steering has been acting up. Sometimes turning the wheel is normal, and other times, it is like there is something binding. When it is acting up, I can turn the wheel, and it is hard to turn for about 20degrees of rotation, then normal for about half a turn, then binds again for a short time, then normal. When the wheel is in a certain position, it becomes hard to turn. I checked fluid level, normal. Belt is tight. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hocrest 10-18-2007 09:25 AM

I've had this issue with my Brat, and others here have had the problem with their SVX.

The steering column U-joint is crudded up. It is located at the end of the steering column, connected to the steering rack.

Use carb cleaner or something to clean out the joints, then PB Blaster and then coat it with some thick grease.

If that doesn't solve the problem, you'll most likely have to replace that joint.

pavanbabut 10-19-2007 11:05 AM

I have a roblem very near to this kind. But mine happens when I try to turn the steering at lower rpms, if I rev it and turn it it will be fine. So, I hope its my P/S pump or fluid lines .

-Pavan.

Hocrest 10-19-2007 11:11 AM

Your's sounds like a power issue. With the car running have someone
sit in it and turn the wheel back and forth while you stand in front and watch the PS pump pulley. If it "skips" at all then you need to tighten your belt. If it is already tight, it may be time for a new one.

Another thing that could cause slipping is a crank pulley that is beginning to separate. With some white-out, draw a line across all three sections of the pulley. After a period of slipping, look to see if the line is still a line.

pavanbabut 10-19-2007 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 502372)
Your's sounds like a power issue. With the car running have someone
sit in it and turn the wheel back and forth while you stand in front and watch the PS pump pulley. If it "skips" at all then you need to tighten your belt. If it is already tight, it may be time for a new one.

Another thing that could cause slipping is a crank pulley that is beginning to separate. With some white-out, draw a line across all three sections of the pulley. After a period of slipping, look to see if the line is still a line.

I changed the belt very recently, but after that I never had chance to drive it properly to check all those things. Maybe next time when I get to drive it, will check it (its sitting in Yahoo garage nowadays and my sister uses it occasionally over there, but she didn't complained me about it recently).

-Pavan.