The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   No wheel bearings in 100,000 miles (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14217)

svx_commuter 11-05-2003 05:06 AM

No wheel bearings in 100,000 miles

:) Yup. That's right. I have had my SVX for a little over three years and I have driven it just over 100,000 miles without a wheel bearing replacement.

I just thought you all would want to know that. :)

ou2mame 11-05-2003 08:09 AM

mine's in the shop replacing the front drivers side...

mikecg 11-05-2003 08:21 AM

ginkzed

Now you did it with in a month we'll hear you talking about a funny noise coming from your wheels.

Aredubjay 11-05-2003 08:35 AM

Re: ginkzed

Quote:

Originally posted by mikecg
Now you did it with in a month we'll hear you talking about a funny noise coming from your wheels.

Yep, I'm gonna have to agree with Mike on this one. As we say in the South, "you done sh!t in yer own chili, b'wah." :D

mbtoloczko 11-05-2003 08:39 AM

Re: No wheel bearings in 100,000 miles

Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter
:) Yup. That's right.
Cool! How about letting us know what you did when you replaced the wheel bearings.

svx_commuter 11-05-2003 09:07 AM

Re: Re: No wheel bearings in 100,000 miles

Quote:

Originally posted by mbtoloczko

Cool! How about letting us know what you did when you replaced the wheel bearings.

I don't know what was done when the wheel bearings were replaced the last time. It was before I bought the car.

Heck, I bought the SVX with 89,000 miles and who knows how old the bearings were at that point.

I am just letting everyone know that the bearings can last a long time. My own personal opinion is that the assembly is critical and the use of a press can create too much preload and faster wear.:)

svx_commuter 11-05-2003 09:09 AM

Re: ginkzed

Quote:

Originally posted by mikecg
Well if that happens, so be it. :) I think I am going to have to replace the seals anyway even if the bearings aren't bad. I think the seals have had it and are rock hard at this point.

benebob 11-05-2003 12:37 PM

Once you hit 141k then we'll talk. Mine are from the factory baby! (at least they appear to be as there is no evidence saying they had been replaced).

nextcubepro 11-05-2003 07:33 PM

Re: Re: ginkzed

Quote:

Well if that happens, so be it. :) I think I am going to have to replace the seals anyway even if the bearings aren't bad. I think the seals have had it and are rock hard at this point.

If it's not (very) broke, don't fix it.

svx_commuter 11-06-2003 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by benebob
Once you hit 141k then we'll talk. Mine are from the factory baby! (at least they appear to be as there is no evidence saying they had been replaced).
Hey Bob, How many miles were on it when you got it?
Mine has 191,000 miles now. How could I tell if the bearings have been changed?

benebob 11-06-2003 04:41 PM

Quote:

Hey Bob, How many miles were on it when you got it?
Mine has 191,000 miles now. How could I tell if the bearings have been changed?

It had a shade under 90k when I got it. When I took the rear wheels off to replace the brake pads (which were original stamped pads I looked for any evidence of pulling the hub or anything like that. No knicks, screws/bolts with anything showing they were moved nor any scuffs in the grease/dirt build up. Not very scientific but fairly convincing to me at least.

immortal_suby 11-06-2003 05:56 PM

Heh Heh - Bought my svx at 100k and just hit 200k a few weeks back - Original wheel bearings at all 4 corners AND I have aftermarket rims w/ a 48mm offset! Wheel bearing demons be damned! :p

Aredubjay 11-06-2003 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby
Wheel bearing demons be damned! :p

Shall I play "Taps" for your bearings now, or wait until the actual event in, uhm, about five days. :rolleyes:

rcraven32 11-07-2003 10:30 AM

I should be so lucky

Bought mine with 92k. Seemed perfect from a nice old farmer in a small town.

By 117k I had replaced the rear bearings, resonator, 4 Rotors, front seals, water pump, and recharged the air.

Now I think the CV joints are going on me at 126k.

Love this car, but my wife is begining to get jelous of all the time I spend in the garage fixing it.

nextcubepro 11-11-2003 06:29 PM

What exactly is the offset, and what are the stock rims, and why can it hurt my bearings to go against manufacturer spec? Please try ti get back to me quick because the rims i'm looking at on ebay end in 35 minutes :)