The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   HEADS....WaRpEd ! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28063)

James Scott 08-25-2005 07:56 PM

HEADS....WaRpEd !

The guy doing my head gasket said the shop told him my heads WERE wArPeD! I asked how they might have gotten that way....the most likely causes of that (HEAT) wArPaGe? He wasn't sure of course...BUT said they got gobs (that's right! GOBS!) of debri out of the 3 cooler (AC, AT, Engine) radiators [external nooks and crannies]. :eek:

I wonder first..how they got that dirty.....BUT also..if that's it? COULD BE! :confused:

Is this a common problem with the SVX....Clogged radiators resulting in overheating..and even wArPeD HEADS? :confused:

PLEASE enlighten me...THANKS! :D

SVXRide 08-25-2005 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Scott
The guy doing my head gasket said the shop told him my heads WERE wArPeD! I asked how they might have gotten that way....the most likely causes of that (HEAT) wArPaGe? He wasn't sure of course...BUT said they got gobs (that's right! GOBS!) of debri out of the 3 cooler (AC, AT, Engine) radiators [external nooks and crannies]. :eek:

I wonder first..how they got that dirty.....BUT also..if that's it? COULD BE! :confused:

Is this a common problem with the SVX....Clogged radiators resulting in overheating..and even wArPeD HEADS? :confused:

PLEASE enlighten me...THANKS! :D

James,
This isn't unusual. This is why it's a good idea to take a hose to the front end of the car every so often. The debris in the condenser (aka AC cooler), radiator and trans cooler is just a function of the number of miles and conditions you drive in. How many miles do you have on your engine again?
-Bill

mbtoloczko 08-26-2005 09:25 AM

It might even be better to periodically remove the radiator and clean and straighten the fins. I've got the radiator out of my car, and a good fraction of the cooling fins are bent and the whole lower half of the radiator area is clogged with debris. And I have been using a hose every six months to clean out the radiator fins.

SVXRide 08-26-2005 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbtoloczko
It might even be better to periodically remove the radiator and clean and straighten the fins. I've got the radiator out of my car, and a good fraction of the cooling fins are bent and the whole lower half of the radiator area is clogged with debris. And I have been using a hose every six months to clean out the radiator fins.

Agreed! I know when I replaced my radiator (yet another victim of the "cracked upper tank syndrome") I found the fins extremely clogged in the lower passenger's side - probably a function of the power steering cooler lines in that area...
-Bill

want-a-fast-svx 08-26-2005 10:48 AM

unfortunately thats sounds like a very likely scenario for the heads on the svx to get warped. Overheating is a very deadly thing to engines in general but aluminum makes it even more sensitive. The two previous statements are very good advice to follow as well as checking the cooling system and making sure everything is operating correctly. I would ask to see the measurements done in front of you so you can make sure they are truly off. Someone on here has to have them in their shop manuals if not ill look it up on shopkey tomorrow am.

James Scott 08-26-2005 02:43 PM

108,000 MILES! on car/engine...

Thanks GUYS!..So, this could be a head gasket resulting from clogged cooling radiator(s)..! I N T E R E S T I N G ! ! ! :eek: