The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Winshield glass, salvage? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21811)

FlagstaffSVX 10-06-2004 03:25 AM

Winshield glass, salvage?

Anyone think it's worth it to get some salvage glass and have someone install it, hopefully finding a new rubber gasket in the process, or just shell out what a dealership is going to charge you? (from searching, around 1k)

svxistentialist 10-06-2004 09:08 AM

If putting in salvage glass, you should shell out for new seals anyway.

A friend of mine is/was a glass fitter, and this is his take on it; like in many cars, the windscreen is bonded into the shell of the SVX. It adds to the structural rigidity. It is possible to remove the screen from a wreck, but pretty difficult to do it without breaking the screen. They cut it out using fine piano wire and a lot of patience. Then all the old adhesive has to be removed from the glass before fitting to your car.

So it is possible but finickity and time consuming.

You could ring all the salvage yards near you, and ask the price of a removed screen. [That way if it breaks, their problem] If you can buy one for less than 500 or so, you're laughing.

Just be careful you get the right colour, though. My Claret has green glass with a sunstrip built in, but the black car seems to have smoky glass, possibly grey or tan coloured, not as strong a tint as the green. Check it up, there may be three or more different OE tints.

Joe:)

maroon menace 10-07-2004 11:36 AM

finding a windsheild in a salvage yard is half the battle and i would take whatever color is available if the price is right. getting it out in one piece is another story. I already lost one and am waiting for another.
My gues is that the structure of the svx isn't all that stiff given the number of winshields with stress cracks.

Seraph 10-07-2004 09:33 PM

If you want windshield, pm me. I have one.

NapaBavarian 10-08-2004 02:04 PM

Don't bother with a new gasket, they are hard to find on glued in windshields...

Tool for windshield removal:

Pookey to install new glass for the do-it-yourself type...

Glass repair

Avoid this

FlagstaffSVX 10-11-2004 02:55 AM

Okay, so if I get Lwin's glass, do you think any local glass shops will install it for me? I'm sure I could install it myself with a little help from you guys but finding a nice day off and wasting it on glass sounds terrible. :)

What about buying new dealership glass and having a local shop install it for me, or doing that myself as well? I wouldn't have to worry about new seals or shipping.

At any rate, I need to call around to the local glass shops to see if they'll touch salvaged glass for now.