The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Body Modifications (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   For the serious track junkies: (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46668)

Crazy_pilot 10-20-2008 07:15 PM

For the serious track junkies:

I wonder what sort of time improvement you would see with some aero mods? Front splitter, rear wing...simple stuff to make, and cheap. Plywood will do the job just fine.

And for those of you now shaking your head at me:

http://www.tanneymotorsport.com/gall...1_7807-web.jpg

http://www.tanneymotorsport.com/gall...1_7347-web.jpg

That's one of the guys from the Ottawa Subaru club. A weekend, some plywood, and a piece of vinyl siding cut 2 seconds off his lap times at that track: http://www.ottawasubaru.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14520

So waddaya think? It wouldn't be too hard to rig a splitter or wing on an SVX.

Hondasucks 10-20-2008 07:20 PM

Re: For the serious track junkies:

I saw a CRX on ebay once that had a plywood body kit, complete with functional hood scoop and functional side scoops.

TomsSVX 10-20-2008 07:22 PM

Considering that we do not drive Refridgerater boxes on wheels, I doubt that such a substantial gain would be had... BUT that does not go to say there wouldn't be some gain had... At what expense cosmetically?

Tom

Crazy_pilot 10-20-2008 07:29 PM

Everything comes off in about 20 minutes. What do you prefer on a track, people drooling over your car's clean lines, or envying your lap times?

TomsSVX 10-20-2008 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 569559)
Everything comes off in about 20 minutes. What do you prefer on a track, people drooling over your car's clean lines, or envying your lap times?

Well like I said, i doubt there is a worthwhile improvement to be made with something like this. Its a sleak heavy car, downforce should not be in that high of a demand... but a wrx wagon?? yea I could see how they may need it

Tom

Sov13t 10-20-2008 07:39 PM

Why don't you strip everything? That would be much better than adding crap?

Crazy_pilot 10-20-2008 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 569562)
Well like I said, i doubt there is a worthwhile improvement to be made with something like this. Its a sleak heavy car, downforce should not be in that high of a demand... but a wrx wagon?? yea I could see how they may need it

Tom

Obviously, we have what...a 0.29 Coefficient of drag without a spoiler, 0.31 with? Probably significantly better than a WRX, but on a high speed track I think any car will see a solid benefit from additional downforce.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sov13t (Post 569564)
Why don't you strip everything? That would be much better than adding crap?

If the car is a daily driver, this is cheaper, faster, easier, and temporary.

newsvx 10-20-2008 07:50 PM

"SLIGHTLY";) off subject, but close ... Have you seen this on the 240 MPH "wooden car"?
http://www.woodmagazine.com/communit...-made-of-wood/

Pretty amazing!! College kids designed and built this as a "Masters" project / thesis ...

Harry

XT6Wagon 10-21-2008 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 569556)
Considering that we do not drive Refridgerater boxes on wheels, I doubt that such a substantial gain would be had... BUT that does not go to say there wouldn't be some gain had... At what expense cosmetically?

Tom

Makes a huge difference, just the changes to the front bumper between the 02-03 bugeye and the 04-05 makes a big difference in the feel and ability of the car. Reducing lift/adding downforce is a huge advantage.

The SVX looks to be an easy add for a basic splitter in front and with some paint wouldn't even look out of place. Don't forget we have that huge bumper that sticks out then it heads back to the wheels, so it wouldn't even have to go farther out than the front bumper.

Oh and if you make the front splitter lower and put on some real sideskirts to keep air from getting under the car, you get free downforce for no drag added. Just doesn't work if you have to drive around town since towns have speed bumps, pot holes, and inclined ramps into parking lots.

XT6Wagon 10-21-2008 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 569565)
Obviously, we have what...a 0.29 Coefficient of drag without a spoiler, 0.31 with? Probably significantly better than a WRX, but on a high speed track I think any car will see a solid benefit from additional downforce.

IIRC the WRX was .32, and the STi a bit higher. I don't recall which year the WRX one was from. The EVO was .36... lol that thing was stupid brick like at high speed. Definitely could feel the difference in drag between it and the STi. WRX would run low on power at speed, the STi pulled clean, the EVO made the power but clearly hated the wind.

subbieatnz 10-21-2008 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 569565)

I've got an question about the Coefficient of drag on an svx.
Was that mesurement based on that wide body svx, or just on your normal run of the mill svx.
Would there be much difference between the both of them?

RallyBob 10-21-2008 10:11 AM

Downforce can definitely make a huge improvement in lap times. And it can seriously alter the front/rear bias as well.

At VIR a few years back I was crewing on an EVO 9 for an endurance race, during the qualifying the factory rear wing cracked dead center (apparently it doesn't like running at 148-152 mph for that long). We patched it numerous times, but it kept re-breaking and would sag on the high speed straights until the center touched the trunk lid, then return to mid-height at lowere speeds.

Eventually a team member 'procured' a 'used' street sign, and we used the aluminum to make a vertical center brace, and we were able to finish the rain-soaked 3 hour enduro with no issues. Every driver (there were 3 changes) commented that without the rear wing the car was scary to drive at higher speeds, very tail happy.

Crazy_pilot 10-21-2008 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subbieatnz (Post 569631)
I've got an question about the Coefficient of drag on an svx.
Was that mesurement based on that wide body svx, or just on your normal run of the mill svx.
Would there be much difference between the both of them?

By wide body, do you mean one of the prototypes? I assume that number would have been measured during development. If they used one of the prototypes then it may not reflect 100% on the production cars, because (I think) the prototype cars were actually wider than our production versions. I'm not sure how much of a difference, positive or negative, that would have made.

It really all depends on a lot of small things. For example, if you ran a wheel with a lower offset in the rear, so it sat more flush with the fended, instead of the stock wheel that sits 1"+ inside the wheel well, you would see a lower C of D number. This is because the air wouldn't be able to tuck in to the wheel well and generate drag as much.

And just because a car looks blunt nosed doesn't mean it's going to move through the air like a shoebox. The new GT-R has a 0.27 C of D, and it's nose isn't exactly needle-like.

subbieatnz 10-21-2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 569671)
By wide body, do you mean one of the prototypes? I assume that number would have been measured during development. If they used one of the prototypes then it may not reflect 100% on the production cars, because (I think) the prototype cars were actually wider than our production versions. I'm not sure how much of a difference, positive or negative, that would have made.

It really all depends on a lot of small things. For example, if you ran a wheel with a lower offset in the rear, so it sat more flush with the fended, instead of the stock wheel that sits 1"+ inside the wheel well, you would see a lower C of D number. This is because the air wouldn't be able to tuck in to the wheel well and generate drag as much.

And just because a car looks blunt nosed doesn't mean it's going to move through the air like a shoebox. The new GT-R has a 0.27 C of D, and it's nose isn't exactly needle-like.

yeas i was meaning one of the prototypes. lol i couldnt think of that word lastnite :lol: