The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Broken Bolt, Need Advice (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40427)

Wikedjuggalo 08-23-2007 07:12 PM

Broken Bolt, Need Advice

O.k got my new radiator today, was installing it no problem was screwing in the bolts that hold on the left fan. The bolt just snapped on me, there wasnt much force being applied. It just snapped, Any advice on what to do, I tried the damn "E-z Out" and it didn't grab it like it was suppose just made a damn whole in the middle of it (Bolt). Can I use something to else to support it? And Advice is welcomed.

immortal_suby 08-23-2007 07:19 PM

tighten down the other 3 bolts and call it a day?

Wikedjuggalo 08-23-2007 07:22 PM

Will I run into problems with the fans moving or anything?
I wont mind doing that but I just dont want my fans going anywhere

immortal_suby 08-23-2007 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo
Will I run into problems with the fans moving or anything?
I wont mind doing that but I just dont want my fans going anywhere

is it a top or bottom bolt that is sheared off?

Wikedjuggalo 08-23-2007 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby
is it a top or bottom bolt that is sheared off?

There isnt a bottom one, These arent the ones that hold the radiator, its the ones that hold the fan, and its only one. Idk, I might just hold in with one, and try something else.

immortal_suby 08-23-2007 08:33 PM

ahh - my memory is refreshed. 2 bolts on top, and 2 prongs on bottom. No, I wouldn't feel comfortable with only one bolt on top. Can you try a bigger ez out to get the sheared bolt out?

Hocrest 08-23-2007 08:39 PM

Wire tie FTW :cool:

Wikedjuggalo 08-23-2007 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest
Wire tie FTW :cool:

>.> Kinda what I was going on, I mean it really cant move that much and well I have no options, and no time.

Wikedjuggalo 08-23-2007 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby
ahh - my memory is refreshed. 2 bolts on top, and 2 prongs on bottom. No, I wouldn't feel comfortable with only one bolt on top. Can you try a bigger ez out to get the sheared bolt out?

Well, I will have to see, Idk, i will figure something out.

Hocrest 08-23-2007 08:58 PM

If you screw around too much trying to get that bolt out, you're likely to add another hole to your new radiator :o

Wikedjuggalo 08-23-2007 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest
If you screw around too much trying to get that bolt out, you're likely to add another hole to your new radiator :o

I mean, I can get some wire, and tire it strong on there >.> its cheap but until I can figure something out, I have no choice at this point. Also dont wanna drill in to it like you said :)

94SubieSVX 08-24-2007 12:58 AM

Try glueing a piece of metal in the hole you made in the bolt. Let it dry then try and back it out by using the glued-in piece of metal.

Wikedjuggalo 08-24-2007 06:15 AM

O.k it came down to this, I will post pictures of my amazing MacGyver later, but I come to use some stuff to tie the fan to there the radiator is held into the car.
Pictures explain it better >.>

JaySVX 08-24-2007 08:26 AM

If the bolt sheared, i'd just pull hte fan back, cover the remainder of hte bolt with jb-weld or epoxy, and put the fan back in, so that it's holidng.

Good luck.

dannmarr 09-02-2007 11:08 AM

Make sure you use the correct size drill bit before using the EZ out and use a hand tool to screw in the EZ out.