The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How to on Fuel Filter Replacement (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39003)

SVXMAN2001 05-17-2007 06:54 PM

How to on Fuel Filter Replacement

The only info in the how to documents concerning fuel filter replacement is to disconnect the fuse under the rear passenger seat. Is the replacement of the fuel filter that simple? just disconnect and insert new?

billb 05-17-2007 07:29 PM

It's pretty simple. Just pull out the rear seat and disconnect the fuel pump wiring connector. Let the car run until it stops from lack of fuel pressure. Then go under the hood and change the filter. You'll still get some gas running out of the fuel lines, but it won't be under pressure. Some people don't realize that you have to relieve the fuel pressure so gas sprays all over when they disconnect the fuel lines from the filter.
Bill

SVXMAN2001 05-17-2007 07:46 PM

bill, thanks for the info....just so i understand correctly...i have to go underneath the car to replace the fuel filter? Can't i just remove the silver canister (driver's side) from there? Also, will i have a problem turning the engine over after i install the new filter and reconnect the fuel filter plug?

SomethingElse 05-17-2007 07:49 PM

I just let gas drip its not that bad. but I guess it creates a fire hazard.

its under the hood next to the drivers side strut tower. no underneath required

Cycle the key 2-3 times and let it sit for a couple seconds each time to rebuild fuel pressure

ps.. note the position of the filter and the hoses connected to it.

immortal_suby 05-17-2007 07:49 PM

Nothing under the car. You are correct, just change the filter in the engine compartment out with the new filter. Plug the fuel pump back in start her up. Might crank for a little while on the first start but after that you are fine.

Also - get a clear container and dump in the remaining fuel from the old filter. You might be surprised at how dirty it is.

SVXMAN2001 05-17-2007 08:00 PM

wow such prompt responses! seems pretty straightforward, let everyone know how it turns out, thanks again!

dannmarr 05-17-2007 09:09 PM

You might have a little struggle taking the hoses off. Some have cut them off and replaced them. You can carefully pry open the end of the hose with a screwdriver and spray some lubricant inside for easier removal.

ensteele 05-20-2007 06:53 PM

There is some information in the How-To Documents on this. Check here for location of the pump. :)

theflystyle 08-04-2012 12:09 PM

Re: How to on Fuel Filter Replacement

just did the change using this hose plier tool. I didnt do anything with the fuel pump, fuses, etc. there isnt that much gas that comes out but just have a little cup ready

Darren 08-04-2012 02:57 PM

If any hoses are tight or brittle I always pour boiling water over them for a few seconds to soften them up, it usually does the trick without forcing, cutting or breaking anything.

Crazy_pilot 08-04-2012 03:21 PM

That's an interesting trick... Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.