The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   16 Years and finally running smoothly again! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55432)

ykobayashi 09-06-2010 07:00 PM

16 Years and finally running smoothly again!

5 Attachment(s)
Took a pic of my baby in the driveway right after coming home from work. No reason, just thought I'd post. Bought her new 16 years ago, still find her good looking and intriguing if not a bit tempermental!

Update: Sheit! Sorry guys! For some reason the picture didn't attach (maybe too big?) and I'm still new to Apple so I'm still trying to figure out how the iPhoto editor works. My apologies!

Sean486 09-06-2010 07:09 PM

Re: 16 Years and finally running smoothly again!

So where is the picture? You can't just tantalize like that. :confused:

ShiuludeSVX 09-06-2010 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ykobayashi (Post 657200)
Took a pic of my baby in the driveway right after coming home from work. No reason, just thought I'd post. Bought her new 16 years ago, still find her good looking and intriguing if not a bit tempermental

My kids and I always joke back and forth about the guy parking that pretty Claret in our driveway again.

Mine might have some dings, and I need to do the full drivetrain switch, but it aint leaving my sight for as long as possible.

Huskymaniac 09-07-2010 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ykobayashi (Post 657200)
Took a pic of my baby in the driveway right after coming home from work. No reason, just thought I'd post. Bought her new 16 years ago, still find her good looking and intriguing if not a bit tempermental

With only 60K miles, what did you need to do to get it running smoothly again? I wouldn't think too much.....

ykobayashi 09-09-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 657226)
With only 60K miles, what did you need to do to get it running smoothly again? I wouldn't think too much.....

It was running rough as hell for a year and a half and I could not figure out what the problem was. I was crawling all over the engine, pulled diagnostic codes and was getting them stating bad O2 sensors, knock sensors (you don't want to do this unless you absolutely have to!) , Coolant Temp Sensor, MAF sensor, dealer thought it was bad gas, idle speed sensor, coil packs, hunting down possible vacuum leak, replaced spark plugs (worst experience ever on #6!) in the end it was the last one that did it. Faulty spark plug #6.

An acquaintance of mine who was a mechanic for years said, "if you've looked into everything and still can't figure it out, go back to the basics" sage advice! One thing I have learned about the SVX these many years is that it seems EVERYTHING is a real b**** to work on but I still love this car!

Sean486 09-09-2010 08:52 PM

That is one clean looking SVX, beautiful 95! (..and I see you are another Mazda 6 owner too). Glad to hear you solved with the plug, it's nice to hear when someone solves a nagging long term problem like that.

ZMan 09-10-2010 06:50 AM

Very Nice! Is it a '95 with a '97 grill?

Here's mine - a '94 with 72K mi.

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u...Kath/Red94.jpg

Sean486 09-10-2010 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZMan (Post 657517)
Very Nice! Is it a '95 with a '97 grill?

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u...Kath/Red94.jpg

These are Tiburon wheels right?

ZMan 09-10-2010 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 657519)
These are Tiburon wheels right?

Yes they are.

ykobayashi 09-10-2010 09:43 PM

[QUOTE=ZMan;657517]Very Nice! Is it a '95 with a '97 grill?

Yeah, got bored with the '95 waterfall grill and lack of aftermarket things that I could do to the SVX so I got a hold of a new grill and had it painted. I still have the original grill in the garage in a box.

Yours is really clean! One of the cleanest I have seen out there! I have a question for you, are you having issues with the plastic body parts (mirror housings, flanks under the rear sail window where it says "SVX") fading? I've been using a mild abrasive wax to bring the color back but its a matter of time before I have to get them repainted. My car has been garage kept its entire life so I'm not sure why this is happening.

I gotta tell you one thing I love doing is driving it to the local Subaru dealer. The mechanics and sales people flock around it like I'm some kind of rock star! One of the younger porters asked me once if I was from Subaru Corporate Japan and whether this was some kind of experimental Subaru! (I am Japanese - American)

ZMan 09-10-2010 10:05 PM

[QUOTE=ykobayashi;657555]
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZMan (Post 657517)
I have a question for you, are you having issues with the plastic body parts (mirror housings, flanks under the rear sail window where it says "SVX") fading? I've been using a mild abrasive wax to bring the color back but its a matter of time before I have to get them repainted. My car has been garage kept its entire life so I'm not sure why this is happening.

I gotta tell you one thing I love doing is driving it to the local Subaru dealer. The mechanics and sales people flock around it like I'm some kind of rock star! One of the younger porters asked me once if I was from Subaru Corporate Japan and whether this was some kind of experimental Subaru! (I am Japanese - American)

Yes, i have the exact same issues with those parts on mine also.

My mirrors have already been painted because i switched them from my parts car which are heated, but they were green.

Like you said, it's just a matter of time before the flank pieces get painted as well. - I get red paint on my towel when i wax them.

LOL on you driving to the dealer - I get lots of looks from the salesmen when I go there to visit a friend who works there. :lol: