The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Doors automatically locking? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37064)

Bwana 01-20-2007 10:07 PM

Doors automatically locking?

My GF's SVX has recently developed a problem with the door locks.

She has a 92 (the one in my sig) with the security system.

Whenever she closes the door, the car almost instantly locks. Doesnt matter if the key is in the ignition or not, and the security system being on or off has no effect.

If you unlock it with the remote, open the door, close it....it locks.
If you lock it with the remote, unlock it from inside, close the door...it locks.
Same things happen with locking/unlocking with the key.

I gave up searching. :o

AlcyoneDaze 01-20-2007 11:17 PM

weird................

Manarius 01-20-2007 11:58 PM

Is it the door lock motors locking the doors, or is it that you unlock the doors, and they just kind of go locked.

Bwana 01-21-2007 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius
Is it the door lock motors locking the doors, or is it that you unlock the doors, and they just kind of go locked.

the motors

ensteele 01-21-2007 06:59 PM

Either the gf or svx is possessted. :rolleyes: ;) :o :o

Bwana 01-22-2007 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
Either the gf or svx is possessted. :rolleyes: ;) :o :o

I'd say both. :p

Hocrest 01-22-2007 08:30 PM

I'd guess that it is either a loose contact in the switch part of the door lock actuator on the drivers door or one of the wires leading to it.

Pull the panel off and reach around in there and see if you can get the problem to repeat while tugging and poking around the wires and switch.

If that doesn't do it, call a priest:D

Trevor 01-22-2007 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana
My GF's SVX has recently developed a problem with the door locks.

She has a 92 (the one in my sig) with the security system.

Whenever she closes the door, the car almost instantly locks. Doesnt matter if the key is in the ignition or not, and the security system being on or off has no effect.

If you unlock it with the remote, open the door, close it....it locks.
If you lock it with the remote, unlock it from inside, close the door...it locks.
Same things happen with locking/unlocking with the key.

I gave up searching. :o

The system depends on a system of change over switches, some operated by the lock button and or key. These would appear to be the likely culprits. The levers which mechanically operate them could be out of adjustment, something detached, or a switch in itself could be faulty.

Think about it, watch what happens when you operate the various functions, and follow your nose. Obviously this will require removal of the door panel.

SVXdc 01-22-2007 08:49 PM

Security module going bad? Lots of of other people's have failed (although usually the module just dies)

If the module weren't so hard to get to in the '92s I'd suggest temporarily disconnecting it. That would tell you whether it's the module or other wiring.

Does this happen if you open/close the passenger door and not the driver's?

NikFu S. 01-22-2007 08:55 PM

It's not a defect, it's a feature! :rolleyes: :p

Maybe it's trying to upgrade itself. :D

Crazy_pilot 01-22-2007 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikFu S.
It's not a defect, it's a feature! :rolleyes: :p

Maybe it's trying to upgrade itself. :D

They've become self aware!!!

SSSVX 01-22-2007 10:33 PM

happened to me

Isn't it this feature cool? :D Is that happened also when your GF's driving the car or the engine is running? Did you lately have any jump start or change any new battery?

My teal one has always pretty nice to me. I believe the security system is very normal on that. However on the yellow one, I think it's a bit weird sometimes. It happened to me a few times not everytime not as cool as yours GF's hehe, after I left the car, it locked by itself. (same cool feature as your GF's one- I told some people(svxers) they don't believe:cool: ) I couldn't really verify if I locked my door okay! But, that's one time, when I left everything, my keys(car key, house key) and my wallet and cellphone inside and walked away for few minutes, it locked by itself :eek: that was for sure I didn't press the keyless button. I ended up borrowing a cloth hanger from my friend to unlock my door.... not bad - first timer did it in 10mins. So I always try to remember don't leave the key in that car.

There's another time when I was driving to NYC by my yellow one....on the way, I unlocked the door and locked the door by hand when I was driving...it turned out my alarm kept honking and honking - my car sounded like crazy. I had to pull over and turned off the engine and started again to keep on my journey.

There's another time (last time) after I jump-started my yellow one. The door refused to lock :eek: no matter I used key or remote control - it wouldn't lock. :( yes, both side! I thought both of my power actuators went bad and how was I going to lock my car that day? And then, suddenly I got an idea and I pulled the door lock fuse to check and make sure it didn't burn and put it back. I heard some clicking noise - it seemed the system reset by itself - and, yahoooo, I could immediately lock my doors after that - that was a free repair haha nice! Since then, I don't have any problem so far.

So if I were you, I don't know...I might find a way to reset your GF SVX's security system or you can keep this cool feature. :D Let us know your upate later. :)

Suby Fan 01-24-2007 09:50 AM

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...mdoorlocks.gif

if i had to guess and there was no other wire issuses i would say your door lock timer is going bad

Aredubjay 01-24-2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suby Fan
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...mdoorlocks.gif

if i had to guess and there was no other wire issuses i would say your door lock timer is going bad

Goog thought -- perhaps the ground wire is corroded at the connection.

Bwana 01-25-2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aredubjay
Goog thought -- perhaps the ground wire is corroded at the connection.

That's what I was thinking...but i didnt (and still havent) had time to search around.