The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Dakota digital ATF gauge (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11021)

Mr. Pockets 05-27-2003 12:22 PM

Dakota digital ATF gauge

A couple of you have installed the Dakota Digital Odyssey series ATF temperature gauge in your cars. I purchased one, but I'm having a hard time installing it. Well, I haven't actually tried to install it yet - I need to find all the parts first.

I don't know how to put the sending unit in the fluid path. I would like to place it in the line that goes out to the cooler, as close to the tranny as possible, but I can't find any fittings that will help me do that. I was hoping that I could thread it into a T, but nothing I've found will work.

Can anybody give me some suggestions?

Thanks.

SVXRide 05-27-2003 12:40 PM

Buy a PermaCool filter to replace the stock unit. The PermaCool has a threaded hole especially for a temp sender. There are a bunch of folks on the site that are running this set up (I've only gotten as far as the filter - still no temp. guage).
-Bill

Zeppelin 05-27-2003 12:47 PM

I have a brass T installed in mine, if you want a pic of the setup, email me or get me on IM :)

ICQ 9615908
Yahoo Zeppelin_hs69
AOL ZeppelinSVX

benebob 05-27-2003 12:51 PM

Putting on the sender

Go to Lowe and look in the plumbing section (in the drawers specifically) They'll have plenty of different T contraptions that will work all for like 35 cents or so.

Mr. Pockets 05-27-2003 02:34 PM

Re: Putting on the sender

Quote:

Originally posted by benebob
Go to Lowe and look in the plumbing section (in the drawers specifically) They'll have plenty of different T contraptions that will work all for like 35 cents or so.
That's actually exactly what I did, but I couldn't find anything.

Oh, you know what? I tried Home Depot. I'll take a look at Lowes instead - HD never has what I'm looking for and I always end up at Lowes, anyway. :D

Mr. Pockets 05-27-2003 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXRide
Buy a PermaCool filter to replace the stock unit. The PermaCool has a threaded hole especially for a temp sender. There are a bunch of folks on the site that are running this set up (I've only gotten as far as the filter - still no temp. guage).
-Bill

This sounds like the best solution. I'll put one of these on - I needed to install an external filter, anyway.

ensteele 05-27-2003 04:11 PM

I have one of the PermaCool filters and it is a nice way to go. I am thinking of doing the same to the 5 speed even though I don't put on a cooler. :) It would be nice to see what the difference is between the auto and 5 speed temps. ;)

immortal_suby 05-27-2003 04:27 PM

How will you get a temperature from the 5 speed? Are there any plugged holes in the gearbox to thread a sending unit in or will you drill and tap something. I don't remember any external gear oil lines on the 5 spd box in my wagon but maybe they changed something since then.

ensteele 05-27-2003 04:38 PM

I'm not sure yet, but there is a line that comes from back there to the radiator in and out fittings and back to the tranny again. I just thought of that too, now that you mention it. I will get the car back up on the ramp and look to see what is there now. :confused:

Mr. Pockets 05-27-2003 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
I have one of the PermaCool filters and it is a nice way to go. I am thinking of doing the same to the 5 speed even though I don't put on a cooler. :) It would be nice to see what the difference is between the auto and 5 speed temps. ;)
If the 4EAT's problem, in the SVX, is heat buildup due to the clutches. Manual boxes aren't hydraulically driven (typically, wise guys), so I don't know that you'd have any means (or reason) to keep an eye on the fluid temperature.

But whatever floats your boat. :D

ensteele 05-28-2003 12:26 AM

Yep - that is a good point. Maybe I should just work on the AC instead. Working that manual works up a sweat! :D