The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   RIP power steering? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65320)

Stevebsy 05-01-2022 07:40 PM

RIP power steering?

Hello - after 22+ years of service, my power steering has stopped working recently. (LSL type) Seems like there is either none, or very little assistance.

Stuff I know:
1. Plenty of fluid at the proper level doesn't seem to be leaking.
2. Crank pulley is aluminum, so it's not the rubber thing slipping problem
3. Power steering light is not on.
4. Belt is tight, pump is spinning fine
5. No noises or such
6. O-ring was replaced a few years ago.

22 years is not a bad run, but what/how else could I check before replacing the pump? I suppose it could possibly be the rack. Neither have been changed since I got the car in Jan 2000.

Thanks for any ideas

Huskymaniac 05-06-2022 06:48 AM

Re: RIP power steering?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevebsy (Post 753969)
Hello - after 22+ years of service, my power steering has stopped working recently. (LSL type) Seems like there is either none, or very little assistance.

Stuff I know:
1. Plenty of fluid at the proper level doesn't seem to be leaking.
2. Crank pulley is aluminum, so it's not the rubber thing slipping problem
3. Power steering light is not on.
4. Belt is tight, pump is spinning fine
5. No noises or such
6. O-ring was replaced a few years ago.

22 years is not a bad run, but what/how else could I check before replacing the pump? I suppose it could possibly be the rack. Neither have been changed since I got the car in Jan 2000.

Thanks for any ideas

I recently bought a rebuilt rack. I thought it had issues as I was experiencing chunky steering. Turns out it may have been the crank pulley. I replaced the clearly failed pulley and things got better buy my assist is still weak and a little chunky. So, either my pump is failing or the rack was rebuilt like crap. I am guessing it is the pump. I get the occasional belt squeal. Do you?

Stevebsy 05-06-2022 07:21 AM

My crank pulley is aluminum. (I had the slippy pulley issue years ago and got the aluminum one instead)

No squealing or other issues... It seems like I get a small bit of boost but not nearly what it was before.

:confused:

TomsSVX 05-07-2022 05:26 AM

You both should make sure the u joints from the steering column to the rack are in good shape. Resistance before the rack will never be overcome by assist from the rack

Tom

Blacky 05-07-2022 03:35 PM

My '92 got really stiff at slow speed quite suddenly. I found a wire hanging down under the dash near the TCU. When I reconnected it my power steering worked again. It was obviously a wire for the speed compensated steering.
I also had stiff U-joints on the steering shaft. They made the steering very notchy.

Huskymaniac 05-11-2022 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacky (Post 753989)
My '92 got really stiff at slow speed quite suddenly. I found a wire hanging down under the dash near the TCU. When I reconnected it my power steering worked again. It was obviously a wire for the speed compensated steering.
I also had stiff U-joints on the steering shaft. They made the steering very notchy.

Did you lube them or replace them?

Blacky 05-11-2022 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 753991)
Did you lube them or replace them?

I lubed them. First with WD40 and then oil. They were good for quite a few years until I sold the car.

wdb 05-15-2022 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 753988)
You both should make sure the u joints from the steering column to the rack are in good shape. Resistance before the rack will never be overcome by assist from the rack

Tom

Good stuff here.

THE NEW GUY 05-22-2022 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 753988)

Tom

You are the best, man.