The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   weird wire (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56089)

dennyo 12-07-2010 06:34 PM

weird wire

Just ran across a red wire behind the diagnostic cover on the drivers side footwell.It almost appears to be round romex! Looks like it might be 16/2 or maybe 14/2. The end is clipped neatly so I 'm thinking factory and it runs under the carpet towards the back of the car. Anyone else seen this on their car? I just noticed it tonight while trying to fix the dreaded 'battery drain' syndrome:( As always, any help is appreciated.

dennis

elislider 12-09-2010 05:19 PM

Re: weird wire

could it be a amp/subwoofer control/power wire that runs to the trunk?

svxman07 12-10-2010 06:43 AM

possibly a power antenna wire? does ur power antenna work?

Mike621 12-10-2010 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennyo (Post 664231)
Just ran across a red wire behind the diagnostic cover on the drivers side footwell.It almost appears to be round romex! Looks like it might be 16/2 or maybe 14/2. The end is clipped neatly so I 'm thinking factory and it runs under the carpet towards the back of the car. Anyone else seen this on their car? I just noticed it tonight while trying to fix the dreaded 'battery drain' syndrome:( As always, any help is appreciated.

dennis

Dennis-

What you are describing does not sound like a factory wire. My best guess is it may be a remnant of a car-phone which may have been installed at one time.

Additionally, I would check around for any additional wires that tap into you 12v/accessory wires as an aftermarket accessory installation done improperly will lead to a battery drain issue.

Hope this helps.

dennyo 12-10-2010 01:18 PM

Thanks to all. Mike, I do have a remote alarm/start device but I disconnected it and still have a drain. Alternator seems OK. No internal ground. Time to start the process of elimination I guess. I think I'll track the red wire down just out of curiosity. It seems that it only does this during winter months. Thanks again for the help. Antenna is fine also. No amp/sub just factory. Will report back with the cause when I find it!

Cam 12-10-2010 01:49 PM

You can easily determine which circuit has a draw by pulling one fuse at a time and seeing if the voltage at the battery changes. If it does, then that is where I would start to look. I read here that if you have a draw, it will drop the voltage down at the battery a noticeable amount. Good luck. Electrical gremlins are the worst.

svxcess 12-10-2010 05:54 PM

For information on how to diagnose a parasitic drain on your electrical system, check HERE and HERE

dennyo 12-10-2010 07:15 PM

Thanks guys. thanks for the links. I wish it wasn't 3 below i'd be working on it right now. Suppose to warm up tomorrow to a whopping 20:)

dennis