The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   The new phototype flat 4 for the next Gen of Subaru (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53471)

subbieatnz 03-16-2010 04:52 AM

The new phototype flat 4 for the next Gen of Subaru

The new phototype flat 4 for the next Gen of Subaru :P

http://www.subaru-global.com/special...ial/index.html
Click on the "Petrol" box
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...rus/249397.jpg

Gamesy 03-16-2010 07:55 AM

Re: The new phototype flat 4 for the next Gen of Subaru

the intake manifold looks similar to the H6's

Subix 03-16-2010 08:30 AM

oOOooo... that is sexy! :) for a four! :)

lhopp77 03-16-2010 09:43 AM

Strange routing of the exhaust system. Must be going to put it in a crackerbox.

Lee

Freeman 03-16-2010 10:21 AM

I would rather eat a live cat than own a 4 cylinder. Regardless of how sexy she is.. Okay.. Maybe a little.

BoxerFanatic 03-16-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77 (Post 638446)

Lee

The new 2.5 Turbo in the 2010 Legacy GT uses a front mount turbocharger, as does the boxer turbo diesel.

This seems to use a similar forward-facing, possibly equal-length header, joined in the center, and wrapping around to the side and rearward.

Perhaps it is just commonality, and interchangeable parts that show this doing the same, even without a turbo.

I love the EJ25 Turbo in my Legacy GT, when it is running well... but I have heard of a lot of them chewing up turbochargers, and spitting broken bits into the engine. I continue to knock on wood to hope that mine doesn't do that.

The complexity of the system, and costs associated does have me considering whether I would get a Turbo 4 over an H6 in the future, for a daily driver. The H6 is butter smooth, and fairly simple and reliable.

But I would still get a turbo H4 or turbo H6 for a theoretical weekend sports car that I could afford to wait on and shore up if something went wrong, while still being able to drive a reliable daily driver to work.

I don't like the idea of a turbo engine grenading itself, and me being put over a barrel to get it fixed in order to get to work, and having to pay a lot on a moment's notice, if I can possibly avoid it.

This new boxer looks good. It might actually be based on the EZ H6 line, as the rumors said. It will be interesting to see what sort of performance it is capable of. Rumors for the FT-86 were initially suggesting 200hp out of 2 liters, naturally aspirated, but later got toned down to ~160.

benebob 03-16-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhopp77 (Post 638446)

Lee

Not so strange. Supercars and race cars have been moving the exhaust up there for years. TVR was actually one of the early ones to use this type of set up. I know TVR claimed it made for a better flowing exhaust with less need for added restrictions for the ideal back flow.

The subie flat four needs all the help it can get in order to remain comp. as their horsepower per liter is slowly falling behind other makers.

ShiuludeSVX 03-16-2010 04:11 PM

Too much serpentine for me. I hate those things.

icingdeath88 03-16-2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiuludeSVX (Post 638474)
Too much serpentine for me. I hate those things.

That was my first thought. Damn, that's a lot of belts... or is it one long belt? *squints at monitor*

NiftySVX 03-16-2010 04:49 PM

All manufacturers as of late have been moving the primary catalyst as close to the heat source as possible for rapid warm up. That would be my guess as to why the exhaust is like that. But it is probably a combination of everything and some other stuff they figured out in the engineering dept. Good work on the plastic intake manifold, I'm a fan. Looks tallish though, for a "flat" motor.

Tim 03-16-2010 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman (Post 638448)
I would rather eat a live cat than own a 4 cylinder. Regardless of how sexy she is.. Okay.. Maybe a little.

Only my people are allowed to do that.

SVXyGirl 03-16-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 638489)
Only my people are allowed to do that.

You made a funneh.. I laugh. :lol:

benebob 03-16-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiftySVX (Post 638478)
All manufacturers as of late have been moving the primary catalyst as close to the heat source as possible for rapid warm up. That would be my guess as to why the exhaust is like that. But it is probably a combination of everything and some other stuff they figured out in the engineering dept. Good work on the plastic intake manifold, I'm a fan. Looks tallish though, for a "flat" motor.

That makes sense but some of the later TVRs I've seen (early 90s griffith on) that I've seen it isn't a cat (as they tended to be catless still) but rather a large collector chamber up there. Maybe it had something to do with their use of a full race style engine which required proper warm up before going above 3 grand.

NiftySVX 03-16-2010 08:41 PM

The more interesting things I see are in the design of the cylinder head.

It looks to use "cam caps" sort of like the toyota JZ engine, but obviously much newer. It also appears to have small electric motors on the front of the camshafts which would be an interesting development from the now common use of oil pressure to rotate the timing actuator. Those could also be simply position sensors but it is interesting to speculate in any case.

I also see a canister style filter near the oil filler neck. This is nice. Everyone is going to this for what I assume to be environmental reasons.

I am trying to see from the picture if the heads are equipped with direct injection. I can't see for sure, but one can almost certainly assume it is.

The GEN 2 boxer was absolutely light years ahead of the earlier ones, a recent look at an 88 XT reminded me just how far ahead it was.

I expect this motor to appear under hoods of Subarus very soon, as toyota is likely sharing some of their tricks with FHI and we've had a pretty modern engine family that is in almost everything now that started with the 2GR found in the 2005 avalon.

Now what we all want to see is two more holes welded on the back of that dude. I mean, EA+2=ER, EJ+2=EG so... I'll be the first to stuff it in an SVX :D

benebob 03-17-2010 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiftySVX (Post 638512)

The GEN 2 boxer was absolutely light years ahead of the earlier ones, a recent look at an 88 XT reminded me just how far ahead it was.

:confused:I'd take an EA-81 over the much worse gen II EA-82 any day. In fact I wouldn't buy a 4 cylinder EA-82.