The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Small car shift kit (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27463)

94svxred 07-20-2005 11:59 PM

Small car shift kit

Can anyone tell me how well the Small car shift kit works :confused: does it really help? My tranny seems to be fine :p FOR NOW :eek:

Kiteless 07-21-2005 01:58 AM

This has been talked about alot. Try doing a search for "shift kit" and you should find all the answeres you are looking for. Good luck.

94svxred 07-21-2005 04:12 AM

Thanks KITELESS ;) Found some links but I'm still not sure if I should get one :confused: .Why mess with a good thing? It seem most people have had a quirk or two :confused: and completely unplugging the resistor seems to create more problems!

nordique14 07-21-2005 10:16 AM

Do not unplug the resistor - unless you like jerky deceleration. :)

The shift kit allows you to tune the how quick (firm) the tranny shifts. If you are happy with your shifts, then no need to buy one. Many people including myself have found the 2-3 shift verrry lazzzzy. The shift kit will make that shift much firmer.

The early shift kits caused the power light to blink unless you added a resistor. They also had 3 prongs and only 2 were used. Installation instructions that (at best) were incomplete, led a few people to hook up the kits incorrectly. From what I hear the new kits do not cause the power light to blink and with only 2 prongs, it would be hard to hook them up wrong. So So if you feel you would benefit from firmer shifting then the kit is a pretty cheap way to do that.

-Matt

94svxred 07-22-2005 02:09 AM

Matt by your response I take you have one :confused: Do you like :confused: . So what your saying is that they fixed the blinking light issue :confused: . Still not sure if I should get one or not :confused: :confused:It's sound like more problematic then it's worth :rolleyes:

Jayahalasi 07-22-2005 07:51 AM

Does anyone have this installed on a 4.44 4eat?
Does it work?
Is it worthwhile?

nordique14 07-22-2005 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94svxred
Matt by your response I take you have one :confused: Do you like :confused: . So what your saying is that they fixed the blinking light issue :confused: . Still not sure if I should get one or not :confused: :confused:It's sound like more problematic then it's worth :rolleyes:

Wow. That sure is a lot of :confused:.
:D

Yep, I have one hooked up. I have the old one without the resistor that caused a blinking power light. I added a $0.15 resistor from Radio Shack and that fixed the problem. The updated version they sell now apparently has a resistor attached so the blinking power light shouldn't be a problem. Works exactly as advertized. It will firm up the shifts and since it is adjustable, you can set it to how firm (or soft) you want. If that is something you think you would like, then get one. Install was easy. A pair of wire cutters will help. And you will need a sharp blade. You will also need some electrical tape or spiral wrap to protect the wires.

-Matt

94svxred 07-22-2005 03:33 PM

sorry about all the questions :o , but you gave me the answers i was looking for ! :) Thanks Matt!! Ithink for 45 bucks i'll grab one :) ! Thanks again MATT :D

Kiteless 07-23-2005 10:50 AM

I bought one and am going to install it this weekend. A benefit to installing it in the 4EAT especially from 2 to 3 is that the slow slow shift works up a lot of heat during the sift and also wears down the clutch plate faster. The Transmission has a good deal of tolerance for shifting from gear to gear, so the idea is that the firmer shift actually extends the life of the tranny.

94svxred 07-24-2005 05:21 AM

Thanks All :D I'm on it . Anything to help my trannty last longer ;) I don't have a tranny cooler yet! but If my wife does'nt get to pi**ed off :eek: thats my next buy :p