The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   SEVERE Tire Wear (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25546)

James Scott 04-13-2005 03:14 PM

SEVERE Tire Wear

My HANKOOK V 102 245 45 16 tires in the rear wore out after 7 months use. I put drop springs/Koni strut inserts in right before ...I know this causes this type of premature wear.... PLEASE let me know what special camber setting is ideal for the rear to avoid such a radical wear rate [alignment was set to factory specs after drop springs installed!]...

THANKS for any help! :confused: :D

TCamusJr 04-15-2005 12:17 AM

man i know how ya feel. my conti extremes wore out after 12 months. buying new tires everyyear suxxxxxxx.

James Scott 04-15-2005 07:09 PM

Does anyone know a good compensating camber setting for the drop springs/Koni strut insert setup (Dayle) to increase tire wear without drastically affecting suspension performance? HELP???

Please give any advice...I won't hold you liable for the consequences even if I get a bad result...doubtful it could get worse anyways... :confused:

Beav 04-16-2005 06:48 AM

There is no reason for 'compensating' just for the springs being different. Strut suspension pretty much travels straight up and down. Once the springs/struts were installed I trust you had the alignment checked? You still haven't said what type of wear you have.

Also, please stick to one thread. There's no reason to spread this over multiple threads.

James Scott 04-18-2005 06:26 AM

Oh Beav!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beav
There is no reason for 'compensating' just for the springs being different. Strut suspension pretty much travels straight up and down. Once the springs/struts were installed I trust you had the alignment checked? You still haven't said what type of wear you have.

Also, please stick to one thread. There's no reason to spread this over multiple threads.

SORRY!!! (sorry for the caps too!) ....I AM dramatic!

Beav, I stated the wear was severe ....and on the inside edges of the rear tires ONLY! Down to the fabric on both....and steel on one of them [after 13,000 total miles]. I don't have the tires now to give a detailed analysis of the type of specific inside edge wear, but the rest of the tire appeared normal ....to the uneducated casual observer. YES, I said the alignment was checked and adjusted (except rear camber of course) by very reputable brake/tire service shop in my area. THANKS for your continued help! :confused: :D

P.S. I re-entered the question, when I received no quick response! I thought there was a delayed response to my first query, but i see the dates indicate otherwise???...sorry! :)

P.P.S. So....You don't agree with Mobtslszco(?) that the settings should be camber -0.6 and toe 0 degrees?

Beav 04-18-2005 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Scott
P.P.S. So....You don't agree with Mobtslszco(?) that the settings should be camber -0.6 and toe 0 degrees?

I never said I didn't agree. Those are the OE specs.

James Scott 04-18-2005 04:56 PM

Sorry Beav, I misunderstood again. :confused: Thanks for the clarification! :D